[DDI-users] Structured Data Transformation Language (SDTL) approved

Jared Lyle lyle at umich.edu
Wed Nov 18 14:35:51 EST 2020

Dear DDI community,

Earlier this month, DDI members voted on the Structured Data Transformation
Language (SDTL).  Nineteen of the 28 eligible voting designated member
representatives voted, with all responding “YES, the validity and
usefulness of Version 1.0 of SDTL has been demonstrated and it should now
be accepted as a part of the DDI standard.”  The vote passed with a
two-thirds majority.

SDTL is an independent language for representing data transformation
commands in statistical analysis packages, such as SPSS, Stata, SAS, R, and
Python.  Commands like RECODE, MERGE FILES, and VARIABLE LABELS are
rendered in a structured format (JSON, XML, RDF) that is easy for machines
to read and process.  Command scripts translated into SDTL produce
variable-level data transformation histories, which can be translated into
natural language.  SDTL can be added to Data Documentation Initiative (DDI)
and other metadata standards for use in data catalogs, codebooks, and other
documentation.  SDTL was developed by the Continuous Capture of Metadata
for Statistical Data (C2Metadata) Project <https://c2metadata.org/>, which
was funded by National Science Foundation grant ACI-1640575.

As a next step, the DDI Technical Committee will incorporate corrections
noted in the Public Review and prepare the specification for publication.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the development of SDTL, especially
George Alter (Principal Investigator of the C2Metadata Project), the
C2Metadata Project members, the DDI SDTL working group
<https://ddi-alliance.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DDI4/pages/899547182/SDTL+-+Structured+Data+Transformation+Language>,
and the DDI Technical Committee.

Jared Lyle

Executive Director, DDI Alliance <https://ddialliance.org/>