[ICPSR] ICPSR is a finalist for the 2019 National Medal for Museum and Library Service!

Dory Knight-Ingram dkni at umich.edu
Tue Mar 12 16:50:52 EDT 2019

View Browser
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/files/ICPSR/enewsletters/national_medal_2019.html>
[image: I C P S R Newsletter]
ICPSR is a finalist for 2019 National Medal
for Museum and Library Service!

WASHINGTON, D.C. (March 11, 2019) – The Institute of Museum and Library
Services has announced that ICPSR, a data consortium housed at the
University of Michigan Institute for Social Research, is among the 30
finalists for the 2019 National Medal for Museum and Library Service.

ICPSR joins the Flint Public Library as the only 2019 finalists from the
State of Michigan. ICPSR is the only data organization among the
finalists for 2019.

The National Medal is the nation’s highest honor given to museums and
libraries for service to their communities. For 25 years, the award has
celebrated institutions that demonstrate extraordinary and innovative
approaches to public service and are making a difference for individuals,
families, and communities.

“The 30 National Medal finalists showcase the tremendous ability of
libraries and museums to serve as vital community resources,” said IMLS
Director Dr. Kathryn K. Matthew. “The Institute of Museum and Library
Services is honored to recognize these leading institutions. We
congratulate them on the work they are doing across the United States.”

Finalists are chosen because of their significant contributions to their
communities. IMLS is encouraging community members who have benefited from
ICPSR’s work to share their stories on social media, particularly on March
19, when ICPSR will be featured in the IMLS Share Your Story Campaign.
Those sharing their stories about ICPSR are encouraged to use both the
#IMLSmedals and #ICPSR hashtags.

"ICPSR is honored to receive this national recognition. We share this honor
with the thousands of researchers who have advanced science by archiving
their data through ICPSR so that it is available to the broader community.
We also share the honor with our 780+ consortium members who not only use
these data resources; they strengthen our common commitment to
evidence-based knowledge creation through their support of education and
leadership in analyzing, accessing, and preserving data," said ICPSR
Director Margaret Levenstein.

National Medal winners will be announced later this spring. Representatives
from winning institutions will be honored for their extraordinary
contributions at the National Medal award ceremony on June 12 in
Washington, D.C.

To see the full list of finalists and learn more about the National Medal,
visit the IMLS website
<https://www.imls.gov/issues/national-initiatives/national-medal-museum-and-library-service>
.

For more information:

ICPSR is an international consortium of more than 780 academic institutions
and research organizations, providing leadership and training in data
access, curation, and methods of analysis for the social science research
community. Learn more at ICPSR <http://bit.ly/2H713vi>.

The Institute of Museum and Library Services is the primary source of
federal support for the nation's libraries and museums. We advance,
support, and empower America’s museums, libraries, and related
organizations through grantmaking, research, and policy development. Our
vision is a nation where museums and libraries work together to transform
the lives of individuals and communities. To learn more, visit www.imls.gov and
follow us on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/USIMLS> and Twitter
<https://twitter.com/us_imls>

Contact: Lucy Sears <lsears at susandavis.com>