[ICPSR] 2015 Biennial ICPSR Meeting Registration Now Open!

wfornoff at umich.edu wfornoff at umich.edu
Thu May 14 14:54:38 EDT 2015

Having trouble viewing this message? Links disabled? Click or copy:
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/files/ICPSR/enewsletters/newsletter-2015-05-14.html

ICPSR Newsletter

Find Us on Social Media

Check us out on Facebook Check out our Twitter Feed Check us out on YouTube

Check us out on Slideshare Check us out on google+ Check us out on LinkedIn

ICPSR
University of Michigan
330 Packard
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Email Feedback

Manage your subscription

2015 Biennial ICPSR Meeting Registration Now Open!

September 30 - October 2, 2015
Ann Arbor
2015 ICPSR Meeting Website

On behalf of the ICPSR, I am delighted to announce that registration for
the 2015 ICPSR Biennial Meeting is now open! This year's conference theme
is "Delivering Effective Data Stewardship." Producers of data, seekers of
data, curators of data, and preservers of data all play significant and
unique roles in the effective collection, description, sharing, and
preservation of research data. Delivering data stewardship takes a village!

Last fall, ICPSR's contacts at member institutions reported by survey, that
while they continue play significant roles in assisting data users in
finding and analyzing research data and teaching resources, they are
experiencing added responsibilities in data management. Individuals expect
that responsibilities in the areas of sharing data, writing data management
plans for grants, curating data, and managing data repositories will
increase, perhaps significantly, over the next 2-3 years. It is not
surprising that individuals emphasized a need for training and professional
development to confidently fill these evolving roles.

ICPSR has been in the data sharing space for over 50 years, but recent
emphasis on data sharing has driven the consortium into new areas in data
curation and is evolving our role as well. ICPSR continues to acquire,
preserve, share, and teach with digital data of the highest quality. It is
the foundation of our mission. But we are rapidly adding opportunities and
services to teach what we practice in the areas of data curation--from
acquisitions to sharing to preservation. And this is what the 2015 ICPSR
Meeting will reflect.

With over 17 workshops and sessions, this biennial meeting will highlight
ICPSR's core functions highlighting current data collections and
data-related tools and exciting new data projects. The meeting will also
impart practical approaches and strategies to work with data producers to
share data, write data management plans, steward discipline-focused
repositories, and locate tools and resources to assist in curating and
managing research data.

In addition, this meeting serves as an opportunity for researchers,
teaching faculty, librarians, policymakers, and data professionals to
gather and share ideas that will aid us as a data community to deliver
impact.

Participation in the ICPSR meeting is limited to individuals from ICPSR
Member Institutions and invited presenters and guests. There are no
registration fees for this meeting.

Workshops begin on Wednesday, September 30 and the meeting concludes at
1:30 on Friday, October 2. More information and registration is found on
the 2015 ICPSR Meeting website.

Finally, ICPSR is pleased to host the popular two-day Software Carpentry
workshop, a hands-on two-day event that covers the core skills needed to be
productive in a small research team, including version control, data
management, and task automation. Short tutorials alternate with practical
exercises. No prior experience is necessary. The Software Carpentry
Workshop will run Monday and Tuesday, September 28-29, 2015 prior to the
start of the ICPSR Meeting. Registration for the Software Carpentry
workshop is separate from the ICPSR Meeting, and there will be a $20
registration fee for the workshop. The workshop is limited to 40
participants, and participants should bring their own laptop as computers
will not be provided.

We look forward to seeing you this fall!

Regards,

Linda Detterman
Assistant Director, Collection Delivery
ICPSR

View registration information for the 2015 OR Meeting

© 2015 Regents of the University of Michigan