[EB] Eurobarometer 10

Meinhard Moschner moschner at unix1.za.uni-koeln.de
Fri Jul 23 04:22:36 EDT 1999

Dear Fern,

as far as I see from my Eurobarometer 10 SPSS dataset, variable 27
(entitled to vote for European elections) has the following SPSS labels:

VALUE LABELS   V27       (1)      "ON LIST"
                                          (2)      "NOT ON LIST"
                                          (3)      "NOT VOTING AGE"
                                          (9)      "INAP"
                                          (0)      "NA"

The codebook specifies the categories more in detail for each country:

NETHERLANDS, ITALY, DENMARK:
1. VOTING AGE
3. NOT OF VOTING AGE
0. DK; NA

FRANCE, IRELAND, BRITAIN, NORTHERN IRELAND:
1. VOTING AGE AND ON LIST
2. VOTING AGE, NOT ON LIST
3. NOT OF VOTING AGE (TOO YOUNG)
0. VOTING AGE; DON'T KNOW IF ON LIST OR NOT
9. INAP., BELGIUM, GERMANY, OR LUXEMBOURG RESPONDENT

Please notice that in SPSS each value can only be defined once,
if not you get the warning that you mention. So the national
divergencies cannot be documented in detail in the SPSS value labels
but only in the codebook.

Greetings
Meinhard

> From:          "Bennett, Fern" <fbennett at indiana.edu>
> To:            "'eurobarometer at icpsr.umich.edu'" <eurobarometer at icpsr.umich.edu>
> Subject:       [EB] Eurobarometer 10
> Date:          Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:06:50 -0500

> I was wondering if anyone has encountered a warning message in SPSS
> in regards to variable 27 in Eurobarometer 10: National Priorities
> and the Institutions of Europe, October -November 1978.    I can see
> what the problem is but am not experienced enough the know whether I
> should just disregard this warning.  In the SPSS cards values 1, 3
> and 0 are used twice.  The codebook says values 1, 3 and 0 are the
> Netherlands, Italy and Denmark, but also France, Irland, Britain and
> Northern Ireland use these values. I hope I haven't totally confused
> everyone.  Thanks.
> ****************************************************** Fern Bennett
> fbennett at indiana.edu <mailto:fbennett at indiana.edu>   855-1451
> Database Manager Department of Political Science Indiana University

 Zentralarchiv fuer Empirische Sozialforschung
 Meinhard Moschner
 Bachemer Str. 40
 D-50931 Koeln

 Tel.:  (++49)-(0)221-47694-21