[DDI-users] [DDI-SRG] Codebook Best Practices

Jane Fry janefry at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 16:04:04 EST 2021

Hi all,

Please find attached the BPD that we put together (and still use) to help
our students when they are doing markup in DDI Codebook.
It was based on the one you folks put together originally.
Some of the extras we put in were:
- explaining what the tag meant in English (no tech terms)
- if there was something special about the tag, then we put in a *Note* to
explain it
- we put in lots of examples - and you will see that they are very
Canadian-centric. We found that the more examples the students had, the
fewer mistakes they made

I should mention that we are still using Nesstar (for now) to do our markup.

Cheers,

Jane

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 2:47 PM Wendy Thomas <wlt at umn.edu> wrote:

> The DDI Technical Committee is working with a group of Codebook users on a
> new Best Practices document for DDI-Codebook. This document will focus the
> structure and technical aspects of Codebook that affect interoperability
> within and between communities of Codebook users. To do this work we are
> asking for your input on what should be covered and best practices you may
> have instituted within your organizations. Some areas we have identified
> include:
>
> --Identification
> --Text content (structure and multilingual issues)
> --Controlled Vocabulary usage
>
> So, what do we need from you?
> 1) Have you any existing guidance documents?
> 2) Are there any "sore points" where problems have arisen in the area of
> interoperability or specific use?
> 3) Are there areas where you think there should be additional guidance?
>
> Note that while this document is focusing on structural and technical
> aspects, the Codebook group will also be preparing high-level documentation
> for Codebook so that if your content doesn't make it into the Best
> Practices document it will be used to inform the content of other
> high-level documentation for Codebook.
>
> Please send your feedback to this list for others to see or directly to
> Wendy Thomas <wlt at umn.edu>, chair of the Technical Committee. We
> appreciate your assistance in creating a document that will be useful to
> the community of DDI Codebook users.
>
> Wendy Thomas, Chair, DDI Technical Committee
>
> --
> Wendy L. Thomas                              Phone: +1 612.624.4389
> Data Access Core Director                 Fax:   +1 612.626.8375
> Minnesota Population Center             Email: wlt at umn.edu
> University of Minnesota
> 50 Willey Hall
> 225 19th Avenue South
> Minneapolis, MN 55455

Jane Fry, MA, MLIS
Data Services Librarian
MacOdrum Library
Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario
http://www.library.carleton.ca/find/data
613.520.2600 x1121

This email communication, including all attachments, may contain private,
proprietary, privileged and/or confidential information and subject to
copyright. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Any
unauthorized use, copying or distribution of the contents of this email is
strictly prohibited. Please delete this email and notify the sender
immediately, if you are not the intended recipient, and have received it in
error.