[DDI-users] Codebook Best Practices

Wendy Thomas wlt at umn.edu
Thu Jan 28 14:47:16 EST 2021

The DDI Technical Committee is working with a group of Codebook users on a
new Best Practices document for DDI-Codebook. This document will focus the
structure and technical aspects of Codebook that affect interoperability
within and between communities of Codebook users. To do this work we are
asking for your input on what should be covered and best practices you may
have instituted within your organizations. Some areas we have identified
include:

--Identification
--Text content (structure and multilingual issues)
--Controlled Vocabulary usage

So, what do we need from you?
1) Have you any existing guidance documents?
2) Are there any "sore points" where problems have arisen in the area of
interoperability or specific use?
3) Are there areas where you think there should be additional guidance?

Note that while this document is focusing on structural and technical
aspects, the Codebook group will also be preparing high-level documentation
for Codebook so that if your content doesn't make it into the Best
Practices document it will be used to inform the content of other
high-level documentation for Codebook.

Please send your feedback to this list for others to see or directly to
Wendy Thomas <wlt at umn.edu>, chair of the Technical Committee. We appreciate
your assistance in creating a document that will be useful to the community
of DDI Codebook users.

Wendy Thomas, Chair, DDI Technical Committee

--
Wendy L. Thomas                              Phone: +1 612.624.4389
Data Access Core Director                 Fax:   +1 612.626.8375
Minnesota Population Center             Email: wlt at umn.edu
University of Minnesota
50 Willey Hall
225 19th Avenue South