[DDI-users] geoMap in Lifecycle

Wendy Thomas wlt at umn.edu
Thu Dec 2 10:37:55 EST 2021

Hi Morton,

Codebook:
The purpose of geoMap is to point to a raster type map (an expression of a
variable for a level of geography) rather than a file of geographic
features (shape file) for use with GIS software for the purpose of mapping.

Codebook does additional geographic specifics at the study level, but links
to a shape file would be made by describing it as one of the other study
material and using the sdatref to link the variable to the item.

Lifecyle:
Similar to Codebook, Lifecycle has OtherMaterial which can reference any
identifiable object. So creating such a description of an external raster
type map and pointing from this description to the variable represented
would be the way to approach this.

The isGeographic boolean tag allows you to specify whether a variable is
used to identify geography (name, code, type, etc.). The representation of
the variable can provide links to descriptions of the geographic structure
(is it a state, county, etc.) and geographic location. The representation
types GeographicStructureCodeRepresentation and
GeographicLocationCodeRepresentation express the range or selection of
valid codes as well as information on any nesting required to create unique
codes (for example a county code may require information on the state code
to provide a unique identification). Location descriptions (LocationValue)
support links to shape files (GeographicBoundary has an option for pointing
to a shape file).

Please let me know if you would like additional details or if you think we
are missing information. If so, you can file an issue to be addressed in a
future version of lifecycle or codebook.

Wendy Thomas
Chair, Technical Committee

On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 7:25 AM Morten Jakobsen <Morten.Jakobsen at nsd.no>
wrote:

> Hello,
>

> In reading the linked field level documentation of Lifecycle I have been
> unable to identify a similar element as geoMap in Codebook. My main goal is
> for variables that are tagged as “is geographic” I can supply more
> information on the geography in question, more specifically a link to an
> exact map that shows the geography measured by the variable.
>

> Is this possible in Lifecycle?
>

> Best regards,
> --
> Morten Jakobsen
> Rådgiver | Adviser
> Seksjon for Forskningsdata | Research Data
> T: (+47) 55 58 83 31
>
> NSD - Norsk senter for forskningsdata AS | NSD - Norwegian Centre for
> Research Data
> Harald Hårfagres gate 29, NO-5007 Bergen
> T: (+47) 55 58 21 17
> postmottak at nsd.no www.nsd.no
>
> *NSD AS er under avvikling, og 1. januar 2022 blir vi en del av
> Kunnskapssektorens tjenesteleverandør (Sikt). Les mer på* *https://www.nsd.no/om-nsd-norsk-senter-for-forskningsdata/
> <https://www.nsd.no/om-nsd-norsk-senter-for-forskningsdata/>*
>
> *NSD AS is currently in the process of undergoing a business aquisition to
> Sikt – Norwegian Agency for Shared Services in Education and Research. **The
> new organization will be established from 1 January 2022.*

Wendy L. Thomas                              Phone: +1 612.624.4389
Data Access Core Director                 Fax:   +1 612.626.8375
Minnesota Population Center             Email: wlt at umn.edu
University of Minnesota
50 Willey Hall
225 19th Avenue South