[DDI-users] We need your input: XML syle in DDI (cross-version

Wendy Thomas wlt at umn.edu
Wed Jul 3 10:57:49 EDT 2019

https://github.com/ddialliance/DDI-TC-162-Discussion

*XML style in DDI (cross-version)*

*GOAL:*
The goal is to have a standard set of style rules for XML schema to be used
across versions when possible. Exceptions could still be made but should be
documented as a variance from the general rules.

*BACKGROUND:*
As we move from hand-crafted to automated production of XML schema we have
the opportunity to address issues regarding the style and production rules
of the XML used in DDI XML schemas. The issue was originally raised in the
context of DDI4 and the need to have clear rules to support the generation
of output in multiple bindings. In addition, the rules we currently work
under reflect decisions made when we were generally handcrafting XML
instances using XML or text editors rather than DDI specific tools. A
number of decisions were made to facilitate the ease of creation by
reducing entry content (use of attributes rather than elements in many
cases).

Clear rules for the generation of XML schemas from the COGS storage and UML
are the minimum. Tools that can handle multiple encodings of the model
(e.g. XML and RDF) should not have to have special cases rules built in
(like the "foo" property is always an attribute).
A secondary consideration is whether parsing is simpler if just elements (a
parser doesn't have to deal with both elements and attributes.)

*SPECIFIC ISSUES:*
Should attributes and elements be used or just elements?

   - If both are used what is the appropriate balance between their use?
   - Is verbosity a valid reason for the attributes?
   - If attributes are used how should they be limited?
      - use of xml:lang attribute
      - Backwards compatibility issues:
      - CodeValue/ExternalContolledVocabularyEntry
      - International String or Structured International String
      - Attributes associated with identification

      --

Wendy L. Thomas                              Phone: +1 612.624.4389
Data Access Core Director                 Fax:   +1 612.626.8375
Minnesota Population Center             Email: wlt at umn.edu
University of Minnesota
50 Willey Hall
225 19th Avenue South