[DDI-users] Documenting the interview transcribing process - DDI 3.2

Wendy Thomas wlt at umn.edu
Wed Jul 3 09:56:10 EDT 2019

Hi Noemi,
This is an area where there has been a lot of interest both in capturing
the process information (sometimes referred to as paradata) around data
capture and also in the specific processing activities. As you note there
is not a specific section covering interview transcription as we have not
fully addressed qualitative data of which interview content is a part.
However, I think the appropriate approach with the DDI Lifecycle as its
stands now is to use the ProcessingEvent giving it a name, label and
description and then use ProcessingInstruction (generation or general
instruction as appropriate) to provide the specific rules and steps. Each
of these allows the use of the control constructs (with
GenerationInstruction) if you need to order or specify conditions for
specific instructions. You can also provide a reference to quality
statements (established practices or guidelines followed) within the
ProcessingEvent.

Others may have additional thoughts on this.
Wendy

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 8:15 AM Noemi Betancort <
noemi.betancort at suub.uni-bremen.de> wrote:

> Dear DDI users!
>
> I have a question about the documentation of the process of interview
> transcribing: I want to document which transcription methodology was used
> for the described data, maybe the person who made the transcription and
> eventually the tool or software used.
>
> I would like to include it in the data collection module ("a maintainable
> module containing information on activities related to data
> collection/capture and the *processing required for the creation a data
> product*") as it is normally a processing event.
>
> However in the element ProcessingEvent I can't find a suitable element for
> that. I might expect a more generic child-element like
> TypeOfProcessingEvent, which allows you to document other processing events
> in addition to those (cleaning operation, control operation...) already
> offered.
>
> At
> http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/DDI-CV/LifecycleEventType_1.0.html
> we find the value DataProcessing.InterviewTranscriptions, so that this kind
> of process is rather included in the archive module (as transcribing may
> also ocurr at another point of time and not within data
> collection/processing)
>
> I wonder, how do you manage that? is the process of transcribing actually
> relevant in your metadata?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Noemi
>
> --
> Noemi Betancort Cabrera
> Systems librarian and metadatamanager by Qualiservice
> Dezernat Digitale Dienste
> Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek Bremen
> Bibliothekstraße 9
> Bremen - Germany
>
> Tel. +49 (0)421/218-59592
> Fax. +49 (0)421/218-98 59592

Wendy L. Thomas                              Phone: +1 612.624.4389
Data Access Core Director                 Fax:   +1 612.626.8375
Minnesota Population Center             Email: wlt at umn.edu
University of Minnesota
50 Willey Hall
225 19th Avenue South