[DDI-users] [IASST-L] Question for DDI and or Nesstar Publisher users: Is there a way to reference content across DDI codebook studies?

Chifundo Kanjala chifundok at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 02:30:40 EDT 2017

Many thanks Sanda, Amber and Knut for the very useful input. I will for now
explore the "other studies" fields that Amber suggested as we are sticking
to the use of Nesstar Publisher in the current project. Next I will explore
other options within DDI codebook as suggested by Sanda. I am also getting
a lot of guidance from Jay Greenfield who is working (together with others)
on compatibility between DDI codebook and DDI 4. Knut, we do aim to
eventually move to Life cycle and or DDI 4 once we have laid the
foundational standardised metadata using the version of DDI supported by
Nesstar Publisher, so i will get back to your advice in the near future - I
will keep you posted.

Once again, many thanks to all!

Regards,

Chifundo

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 7:48 PM, Sanda Ionescu <sandai at umich.edu> wrote:

> Hi, Chifundo.
>
> In DDI Codebook you can reference a(n external) file using the URI
> attribute in File Description (see documentation below).
> However I believe it is not possible to do this within Nesstar. I am
> pretty sure Nesstar does not support this attribute.
> So you would have to add the URL outside of Nesstar and figure out a way
> to retrieve the actual files using the URL.
>
> Best,
> Sanda.
>
> *"<fileDscr> Data Files Description*
>
>    - Optional
>    - Repeatable
>    - Attributes: ID, xml:lang, source
>    <http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/DDI-Codebook/2.1/DTD/Documentation/codeBook.html>,
>    URI, sdatrefs, methrefs, pubrefs, access

> collection. This section can be repeated for collections with multiple
> files.
>
> The "URI" attribute may be a URN or a URL that can be used to retrieve the
> file. "
>

> Sanda Ionescu
> ICPSR
> University of Michigan
> Ann Arbor, MI
> Phone: 734-615-2932
>
> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 8:41 AM, Chifundo Kanjala <chifundok at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am working on a project documenting longitudinal data from a number of
>> studies. My question is related to the documentation of data files that are
>> used across studies. Is there a way to reference content across studies in
>> Nesstar Publisher of generally in DDI codebook?
>> I need to do this because some of the data files I am working on are used
>> in more than one study. Rather than adding them to each of the studies I
>> would like to document them one in one "generic" study and then refer to
>> them. Or its only possible in DDI life cycle?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Chifundo

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope."
--Martin Luther King, Jr.