[DDI-users] NewVersionType

Alerk Amin A.Amin at uvt.nl
Fri Mar 9 04:53:16 EST 2012

Hello,

   I have a question about versions of elements in DDI.  In DDI 3.0, it
seems like a version could be arbitrarily long (eg. 1.0.0.0.0.0.1).
However, in DDI 3.1, it looks like a version must always be 3 numbers
long (eg. 1.0.0).  I am getting this info from NewVersionType, which is
used by AbstractVersionableType.
   My question is: am I understanding this correctly?  I recall a
discussion about this during the DDI Developers meeting in Utrecht in
December 2010, where the the DDI 3.0 NewVersionType was defended because
of a use case that required 4 numbers.  Is 3 numbers the new "accepted"
format, and will it stay that way in DDI 3.2?
   Just to be clear: I am happy with the 3 number format.  I just want
to be certain I understand what is going on before I start writing code
that relies on it.
   Thank you for your help.

Best,
Alerk

Alerk Amin
Development Manager
CentERdata
Room T418 (Tilburg University, Tias Building)
Postal address   : PO Box 90153, 5000 LE, Tilburg, The Netherlands
Visiting address : Warandelaan 2, 5037 AB, Tilburg, The Netherlands
Telephone        : +31-13-466 2243 / 8325
Fax              : +31-13-466 2764
WWW              : www.centerdata.nl
Disclaimer       : See http://www.centerdata.nl/maildisclaimer.