[DDI-users] File Extension

I-Lin Kuo ddi-users@icpsr.umich.edu
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:02:10 -0400

>--On Friday, August 23, 2002 06:55 PM +0200 Sigbjorn Revheim
><Sigbjorn.Revheim@nsd.uib.no> wrote:
>
>>Currently people use XML as file extension for their DDI documents, but
>>the fact that the DDI uses XML doesn't mean that it has to use XML as it
>>file extension. The hole purpose of file extensions is to easier
>>differentiate files of different types, and XML files using different
>>DTDs are of different type.

I am not sure that the differentiation serves a purpose. In fact, I would
argue that differentiation would cut off DDI from the rest of XML's tools
and would be undesirable.

For example, if I changed the extension of a DDI document from .xml to
.ddi, I would no longer be able to double-click on it to open up in XML Spy
or IE without manually changing file type associations.

I-Lin