[DDI-users] File Extension

Mark R. Diggory ddi-users@icpsr.umich.edu
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:06:16 -0400

I think file extensions are far too OS/ Mimetype specific in nature. I
see other Specifications use them (ie .svg .wml .xhtml .html) in some
cases these are artifacts of older architectures (.xhtml .html)
sometimes based on decisions by implementors (.svg .wml).

When specifically is is benifical to assign a special extension to an
xml document? Often in most cases I think extensions are
competing/complementing with mimetypes for use in Browser Recognition or
OS competition.

For example what will the browser do with a xml file? In the case of
xml, IE/Mozilla will attempt to render it using a provided stylesheet.
If you create your own extension then will this default behavior
continue to work? Or does the Browser rely in metetime features to
determine file type?  As well, we can see that extensions such as xhtml,
html, wml and svg have specific behaviors within the browser/file system
that associated with them.

I personally wouldn't reley on the file extension to determine the type
of the file. Extensions are only standard in file names for specif OS's
/ Browsers.

Question: Would one be required to always save thier DDI xml files under
the extesion .ddi in your suggestion? Or is it optional? How would it be
enforced over time. How could one transition from .xml to .ddi
gracefully? Also, extensions are also oftern associated with mimetypes.
Is it also a proposition to define a ddi mimetype?

-Mark Diggory
Harvard MIT Data Center