[ICPSR] Qualitative methods workshops starting soon!

ICPSR Summer Program icpsr-sumprog at umich.edu
Tue Apr 21 12:12:28 EDT 2020

Please forward this email to students, faculty, and researchers who would
benefit from ICPSR courses!
View this email in your browser
<https://us3.campaign-archive.com/?e=[UNIQID]&u=4de0acf23f8cd9a943b256ebd&id=a5082adec7>
*Add a new layer to your research design!*
You may know us as the ICPSR Summer Program, or just the Summer Program, or
some combination of math/stats/nerd camp, but here's some trivia for your
Tuesday: our full name is the ICPSR Summer Program in Quantitative Methods
of Social Research. Yet even that doesn't include everything we do! We also
teach methods involving a more qualitative approach, and today we are
featuring a handful of short workshops that fit that mold.

Introduction to Mixed Methods Research
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/sumprog/courses/0276> (May 20-22)
*Instructor: Shiri Noy, Denison University*

Mixed methods research typically refers to research design and
implementation that combines qualitative and quantitative data collection
and/or analysis techniques. In the course we will interrogate the utility
of mixed methods research in light of the limitations of any specific
methodological tool and approach, and review the theory and practice of
mixed methods research in the social sciences. We will focus on practical
tools and challenges confronted across the stages of mixed methods research.

Process Tracing in Qualitative and Mixed Methods Research
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/sumprog/courses/0215> (May 27-29)
*Instructor: Derek Beach, Aarhus Universitet*

Process tracing is a research method designed to learn how things work in
real-world cases. Increasingly used across the social sciences and in
applied policy evaluation, process tracing involves unpacking a causal
process in a case and tracing how it worked empirically, enabling strong
within-case inferences about causal processes.

The aim of this intensive three-day course is to provide participants with
a good working understanding of the core elements of process tracing as a
distinct social science case study method, enabling you to utilize it in
your own research either as a stand-alone method or in combination with
other methods in multi-method designs such as experiments or small/medium-n
comparisons using

Mixed Methods Research: Combining Quantitative and Qualitative Data and
Strategies <https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/sumprog/courses/0274> (June
1-3)
*Instructor: Shiri Noy, Denison University*

This course examines best practices, through the review of exemplars and
discussion of theoretical approaches, in “mixing” methods and integrating
qualitative and quantitative research. The course introduces students to
the theory and practice of mixed methods research in the social sciences.
In the course we will examine and evaluate specific applications of mixed
methods research. Further, course participants are encouraged to bring
ideas, drafts, and questions about their own mixed methods project
including dissertations, prospectuses, funding proposals, or other plans
for implementing this type of research.

Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA)
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/sumprog/courses/0250> (June 1-3)
*Instructor: Ingo Rohlfing, University of Cologne*

Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA) is a method that has become part of
the toolbox in disciplines such as political science, sociology, public
administration and organization and management studies. QCA can be used to
answer any research question if one is interested in analyzing patterns of
necessity and sufficiency in a group of cases, ranging from a handful to
many thousands. This course introduces participants to the principles and
techniques of Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA) on a methodological
and an applied dimension. At the end of the course, participants will be
familiar with the key elements of a QCA study and know how to read,
criticize, and implement an empirical analysis
*REMINDER: *All 2020 Summer Program courses are being offered virtually!
View all 2020 courses
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/sumprog/schedule.html>

*Registration now open, reduced fees!*
To register for these or any of our courses visit our Registration page
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/sumprog/registration.html> to
get started. Also on that page is our new fee structure, reduced to reflect
our move online for 2020.
[image: Twitter] <https://twitter.com/icpsrsummer>
[image: Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/ICPSRSummerProgram/>
[image: YouTube] <http://www.youtube.com/>