[ICPSR] ICPSR DataBytes - Winter 2015

matvey at umich.edu matvey at umich.edu
Wed Mar 11 15:30:08 EDT 2015

Having trouble viewing this message? Links disabled? Click or copy:
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/files/ICPSR/enewsletters/2015-03-10.html

ICPSR DataBytes: Winter 2012

In This Issue

ICPSR's Winter Byte
Temperature Rising for 2015 Summer Program!
openICPSR--Out of Beta and Free to Members
openICPSR for Institutions and Journals--Open for Branding & Sharing!
What Does an OR (Member Institution) Need to Know about openICPSR?
The ORs are Coming--September 30-October 2!
Council News--Calling all Nominations
Extending ICPSR's Hall of Fame
A Look Back at a Year of Expanding Access
ICPSR's Fall Bulletin--A Bounty of Developments
See you in Portland for the ACRL Conference!

Membership Bits

Current membership count: 763

# ICPSR Facebook Fans: 3,094

# Twitter Followers: 2,005

# YouTube Subscribers: 358

This newsletter was broadcast on behalf of:

ICPSR
University of Michigan
330 Packard
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Email Feedback

Manage your subscription

ICPSR's Winter Byte

Before we bid farewell to a snow-filled, blustery winter in hopes of
spotting the first signs of spring, we invite you to enjoy our winter
edition of DataBytes !

Temperature Rising for 2015 Summer Program!

Registration is open for the 2015 Summer Program! The four-week courses run
June 22-July 17 and July 20-August 14. And, numerous three- to five-day
workshops beginning in May are also heating up!

openICPSR--Out of Beta and Free to Members

openICPSR launched out of beta in February with improved usability and the
announcement that bit-level self-deposits will be a benefit of membership
in ICPSR. openICPSR is a research data-sharing service for the social and
behavioral sciences that allows the public to access data at no charge.

openICPSR for Institutions and Journals--Open for Branding & Sharing!

Now available--a fully hosted, economical, professionally-run research data
repository demonstrating your brand and your organization's commitment to
public access data and research transparency. openICPSR for Institutions
and Journals is a research data-sharing service developed to meet the needs
of universities, journals, professional associations, research centers and
departments.

What Does an OR (Member Institution) Need to Know about openICPSR?

So many questions (about openICPSR) and now many answers specifically
developed to help ORs, DRs, and our member institutions! ICPSR has
developed a bevy of answers to frequent questions about openICPSR as it
pertains to the membership. In addition, see our recent webinar on
YouTube, "Introducing the openICPSR Suite" that includes slides and
brochures for your download and use.

The ORs are Coming--September 30-October 2!

Mark your calendars for the 2015 ICPSR Biennial Meeting. This year's
conference theme is "Working Together for Effective Data Stewardship." With
over 17 workshops and sessions in development, this biennial meeting will
highlight ICPSR's core functions, featuring current data collections and
data-related tools and exciting new data projects. The meeting will also
feature practical approaches and strategies to work with data producers to
share data, write data management plans, steward discipline-focused
repositories, and locate tools and resources to assist in curating and
managing research data. Watch your emails for the registration site
available in late spring! The meeting is open to individuals from member
institutions.

Council News--Calling all Nominations

The ICPSR Council is preparing to bid farewell to six fellow members and
welcome six new colleagues to the mix. To accomplish this task, ICPSR needs
your suggestions. Please note that Council members must be from member
institutions. Nominations should be sent to:
councilnominees at icpsr.umich.edu by April 3, 2015.

Extending ICPSR's Hall of Fame

As part of its mission to support the social and behavioral sciences, ICPSR
presents biennial awards to individuals who have distinguished themselves
in their service to the social science community. We invite you to help us
identify the 2015 winners of the Warren E. Miller Award for Meritorious
Service to the Social Sciences and the William H. Flanigan Award for
Distinguished Service as an ICPSR Official Representative. Please email
nominations to mf-awards at icpsr.umich.edu by April 3, 2015.

A Look Back at a Year of Expanding Access

ICPSR's 2013-2014 annual report (PDF) is now "Open." The report documents
an inventive and productive year in which membership grew to 750, the ICPSR
Summer Program achieved record enrollment, and new data-sharing services
and collaborations were launched.

ICPSR's Fall Bulletin--A Bounty of Developments

The 2014 Fall ICPSR Bulletin (PDF) details our newest projects, including
the National Archive of Data on Arts and Culture (NADAC) and the Archive of
Data on Disability to Enable Policy and research (ADDEP). Several other
events are highlighted with a special feature on the ICPSR Undergraduate
Internship that celebrated its 10th year!

See you in Portland for the ACRL Conference!

ICPSR travels to Portland for the Association of College & Research
Libraries conference, March 25-28. Join us on March 26, at 10:30 in Room
F151-152 for, "From Data Sharing to Data Stewardship: Meeting Federal Data
Sharing Requirements," or visit us in the exhibit hall at booth 743.