[ICPSR] February Webinar Series from ICPSR - "In-Depth with ICPSR" - Registration is Open!

Linda Detterman lindamd at umich.edu
Wed Jan 23 09:12:22 EST 2013

*In-Depth with ICPSR* – *A webinar series designed to provide a thorough
orientation to the data and education services offered by ICPSR*

Join ICPSR for a six-part webinar series designed to orient those new to
ICPSR to our data, our tools and services related to our data, and our
training and educational resources.  Join us for all six webcasts or just
the ones you need to make the most of your access to ICPSR.

*Who should attend? * Faculty, students, librarians, and researchers who
are looking for data to write papers or theses; desire to conduct secondary
research; require data management services to fulfill grant requirements;
need research methods training; or need teaching tools to help support
quantitative literacy efforts in undergraduate instruction.

*All webcasts are free and open to the public, and recordings and slides
will be posted on ICPSR’s YouTube channel.  You will need to register for
each webcast you plan to attend. *

Webinar Session Descriptions and Registration Links:

·         *General Orientation to ICPSR Data Services*:  This webcast will
be a fast-paced overview of data services and training provided by ICPSR.
This session will provide a solid foundation for the sessions that follow!

o   Date/Time: February 4, 2013, 2:00 pm EST

o    *Registration link: *https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/658881274

·         *OR/DR Orientation*: New to or considering the Official or
Designated Representative role?  This webcast will cover the OR/DR role and
highlight online ICPSR-provided resources to help promote awareness and use
of our data services.

Not an OR/DR?  The resources/techniques in this webinar can still be of
great value in promoting ICPSR and other data services across your
organization!

o   Topics will include:

§  Promotional tools and materials available to you from ICPSR (brochures,
slide presentations, online and print materials)

§  OR Tools and on-demand utilization reports

§  The OR Handbook (online)

§  OR Meeting 2013 & Summer Program Sessions for ORs and those in the data
curation community

o   Date/Time: February 11, 2013, 2:00 pm EST

o   *Registration link: *https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/403576674

·        * **ICPSR Education & Teaching Services*: ICPSR has developed a
number of resources dedicated to supporting quantitative literacy by
getting data into the classroom, and by providing paid undergraduate
research internships and research paper opportunities.  This session will
provide an in-depth look at our teaching resources, our student
opportunities, and an overview of ICPSR’s Summer Program – our renowned
program of courses for beginning and advanced students of quantitative
methods.

o   Date/Time: February 19, 2013, 2:00 pm EST

o   *Registration link: *https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/481052802

·        * **Hands-On With ICPSR*:  This *three-part* series will take the
attendee deep into data discovery, data exploration, and data sharing and
access at ICPSR.  Attendees can sit back and watch but are encouraged to
discover and explore their research interests as the presenter walks them
through these exciting data tools.  That’s right, multi-tasking is
encouraged during these sessions!

o *  **Part I: Discovering ICPSR Data*:  This session will cover effective
search strategies, ICPSR’s bibliography of data-related literature, our
growing tools associated with the social science variables database, and
more!

§  Date/Time: February 25, 2013, 2:00 pm EST

§  *Registration link:* https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/343617266

o *  **Part II: Explore ICPSR Data*:  Whether you are interested in
exploring data for further analysis or conducting analysis with online
tools, this session is for you!  This session will introduce ICPSR’s online
analysis system known as SDA, quick tables, our custom crosstab tool, and
other tools to aid in data exploration.

§  Date/Time: February 26, 2013, 2:00 pm EST

§  *Registration link*: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/753537714

o  * **Part III: Data Deposit & Restricted Data Access*:  The final session
in the series will cover the benefits of sharing and archiving data,
introduce the process for depositing data at ICPSR, and provide an
orientation to our restricted data services, including an overview of the
various access points to data that present confidentiality concerns.

§  Date/Time: February 27, 2013, 2:00 pm EST

§  *Registration link: *https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/417259626

We look forward to your participation!  Please forward these webinar
opportunities to anyone who may be interested in ICPSR data services.

--

Linda Detterman

Assistant Director, Collection Delivery

Marketing & Membership Director