[ICPSR] From ICPSR: Research Connections Webinar Invitation - Weighting and Variance Estimation in Early Care and Education Data: A Training and Q&A

Linda Detterman lindamd at umich.edu
Mon Sep 24 08:52:05 EDT 2012

*
Weighting and Variance Estimation in Early Care and Education Data: A
Training and Q&A
*
On October 4th, 2012, *Research Connections *will hold a Webinar training
on using weights and estimating variances when analyzing data from national
surveys with complex sampling designs. This Webinar will provide
participants with a foundation for determining which weights to use for a
particular analysis and how to apply them.  It will also review the
different options that are available for calculating standard errors for
complex sample designs. The training will begin to answer the following
common questions about weighting and variance estimation, as they relate to
prominent data collections in the field of Early Care and Education:

-What are sampling weights and why are they important?
-Why should I use weights in my analyses?
-Why are there so many different weights in the datasets?
-Can I use weights with my statistical software package?  How?
-Why are variances and standard errors important?
-What are design-based variance estimation methods and why should I use
them?

There will be ample time after the presentation for live Q&A with the
presenter. The conversation will continue through the end of the week via a
question and answer blog, at which Webinar registrants and the data experts
can continue the Q&A.  Jerry West, Senior Fellow at Mathematica Policy
Research, will be presenting.

Date:  Thursday, October 4, 2012
Time:  1:00 - 2:15 pm EDT
Registration link: