[ICPSR] ICPSR DataBytes - Autumn Issue

matvey at umich.edu matvey at umich.edu
Mon Oct 29 08:43:50 EDT 2012

Having trouble viewing this message? Links disabled? Click or copy:
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/files/ICPSR/enewsletters/2012-10-23.html

ICPSR DataBytes: Autumn 2012

In This Issue

ICPSR's Autumn Byte
The 2012 Data Fair in Review!
Save the Date—2013 OR Meeting on the Calendar!
Save Another Date—the 2013 Summer Program
The Best News is Worth Repeating!
Calling All Students!
A Recap of our 50th Year—the ICPSR Annual Report
A Faster, Streamlined Data Deposit!
A Bounty of Communications Options!

ICPSR Events
Upcoming conferences &
Council meetings

Get Connected!
ICPSR on Facebook
ICPSR on Twitter
Email Subscriptions
ICPSR on YouTube
ICPSR on Google+

Membership Bits

Current membership count: 718

# ICPSR Facebook Fans: 616

# Twitter Followers: 868

This newsletter was broadcast on behalf of:

ICPSR
University of Michigan
330 Packard
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Feedback

Manage your subscription

ICPSR's Autumn Byte

With a crisp chill in the air of Ann Arbor and the brilliant colors of fall
ablaze, it must be autumn at ICPSR and time for our fall edition of
DataBytes!
Perry Building
The 2012 Data Fair in Review!

Over 160 attendees from 113 institutions joined us for 11 webcasts in early
October to get familiar with ICPSR data and instructional resources and to
investigate ICPSR's holdings pertaining to elections, polling, and
politics. Did you miss it? Recordings and presentation slides can all be
found on ICPSR's YouTube Channel.

Save the Date—2013 OR Meeting on the Calendar!

The 2013OR/DR Meeting will take place October 9-11, 2013. There is much
planning to be done so watch your email for the opportunity to help ICPSR
craft the 2013 program. Details will begin to appear on ICPSR's Membership
page (left pane) soon.

Save Another Date—the 2013 Summer Program

The ICPSR Summer Program is excited to announce its four-week session dates
with the first session beginning June 24, 2013. More information will
become available soon—visit the ICPSR Summer Program Web site for the
latest details!
summer program flyer
The Best News is Worth Repeating!

Announced in our Summer DataBytes edition and demonstrated during the Data
Fair, the Social Science Variables Database (SSVD) enables ICPSR users to
examine and compare variables and questions across studies or series. The
new and quickly popular "Compare Variables" tool enables analysts to
compare the response codes, frequencies, and question text (when available)
for up to five variables at a time. Students can also visualize the
evolution of variables, for example, by looking at the differences in
response codes of a question on marital status asked in 2008 compared to
one asked in 1974.

Calling All Students!

ICPSR invites submissions for our ICPSR 2013 Research Paper Competition
from undergraduates and master's students at member institutions. We are
holding three competitions—with three first place cash prizes of $1,000
each! And there is more: The ICPSR summer internship program provides
undergraduate students with a unique and expansive research experience that
introduces all aspects of social science research via a paid internship on
the campus of The University of Michigan. See recent ICPSR interns exhibit
their research on ICPSR's YouTube Channel.

A Recap of our 50th Year—the ICPSR Annual Report

Relive ICPSR's 50th Anniversary year in 14 pages or less! The 2011-2012
ICPSR Annual Report is ready for review.

A Faster, Streamlined Data Deposit!

ICPSR's online data deposit form has been streamlined to make it easier to
use. The form has been shortened to two pages. The new form replaces the
seven-part questionnaire that ICPSR had been using since 2007 to accept
data online. While the information collected from depositors is essentially
the same, the new form is much easier to use.

A Bounty of Communications Options!

We give thanks for a variety of electronic options to keep the data
community informed of developments at ICPSR! You will find presentations
for download from the ICPSR Slideshare account and previous webinars and
videos on the ICPSR YouTube Channel. You can "like" us on Facebook
and "follow us" on Twitter or join our circle on Google+. And don't forget
that old-fashioned technology—become an ICPSR email subscriber!