[ICPSR] ICPSR DataBytes -- Summer 2009

Matthew A. Richardson matvey at icpsr.umich.edu
Mon Jul 27 08:46:53 EDT 2009

Having trouble viewing this message? Links disabled? Click or copy:
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/files/ICPSR/enewsletter/2009-06-27.html

In This Issue

ICPSR's Summer Byte
Undergrads on Paper
Undergrads in Person
A Virtual Meeting Byte - 2009 OR Meeting
OR Toolbox - Conducting Your Own ICPSR Workshops
Self Help for the Data Community - ICPSR on YouTube?
A Bit about Teaching with Data
ICPSR on Tour!
Digital Preservation Workshops Coming!
Council News - 2012 Membership Rates Frozen!
Remembering Spring - The ICPSR Bulletin
Get Bytes Faster - ICPSR's New Web Site!
ICPSR Events
Upcoming conferences &
Council meetings

Get Connected!
The ICPSR Blog
ICPSR on Facebook
Email Subscriptions
ICPSR on del.icio.us
ICPSR on YouTube

Membership Bits

Current membership count: 690

# ICPSR Facebook Fans: 110

# Twitter Followers: 45

This newsletter was broadcast on behalf of:

ICPSR
University of Michigan
330 Packard
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Feedback

Manage your subscription

ICPSR's Summer Byte

It is summer in Ann Arbor, and much like the outdoors, ICPSR is in
full bloom! Summer at ICPSR finds the halls busier and bustling with
the arrival of five interns, several summer project staff, and
hundreds of Summer Program students. We hope to share a bit of this
energy with you through our summer edition of ICPSR DataBytes!

Undergrads on Paper

Congratulations to the first place winners of ICPSR's annual
Undergraduate Research Paper Competitions! Nathaniel Becker, Yale
University, won the MDRC competition for his paper, "The Transmission
of Political Ideologies through Social Networks: An Empirical
Approach." Austin Lee Wright, University of Texas at Austin, was
awarded first place in the ICPSR competition for: "Why Do Terrorists
Claim Credit? Attack-Level and Country-Level Analyses of Factors
Influencing Terrorist Credit-taking Behavior." A copy of the papers
and details on the 2010 competition will be available on the
competition site in early August.

Undergrads in Person

On June 8, 2009, ICPSR welcomed five outstanding undergraduate interns
who will experience ICPSR and the Summer Program for the next 10
weeks! This energetic group includes: Steve Burke, University of
Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI; Christine Cassar, University of Malta,
Misidia, Malta; Mahesh Dahal, Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT;
Gregory Davis, Morehouse College, Atlanta, GA; and Phuong Ta, Mount
Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA.  Thanks Abayomi Israel, ICPSR
Internship Coordinator (seated) and his crew for coordinating the 2009
program! See details on the ICPSR internship here.

A Virtual Meeting Byte - 2009 OR Meeting

ICPSR continues to plan for the virtual meeting of the ICPSR Official
Representatives, which will run October 5-9, 2009 and be open to the
public. Our session presenters are already preparing session
materials! We expect to launch the meeting site in August.

OR Toolbox - Conducting Your Own ICPSR Workshops

Planning a workshop on ICPSR for faculty and staff this summer? Don't
want to start from scratch? Visit the ICPSR Workshop Materials section
of our Web site. Here you will find a presentation and email and
poster templates to get you started. All are easy to download and
customize!

Self Help for the Data Community - ICPSR on YouTube?

Indeed! ICPSR has uploaded a number of our tutorials to enable users
to find help efficiently when working with our datasets. Just head out
to YouTube and search on "ICPSR." These tutorials are also found in
our Data User Help Center.

A Bit about Teaching with Data

TeachingWithData.org contains links to resources that provide
exercises, activities, or pedagogy information, making it easier for
faculty members to use data in their classes. This repository, a
partnership project between ICPSR and the Social Science Data Analysis
Network, is expected to launch in Fall 2009.

ICPSR on Tour!

ICPSR staff have visited several campuses to conduct workshops and
have delivered several customized webinars. While travel costs
restrict us to locations within driving distance, if we are attending
a professional conference near your campus, we'd be delighted to make
a visit!

Digital Preservation Workshops Coming!

Responsible for stewardship of digital assets in an age of
technological uncertainty? ICPSR has space available in its October
2009 and Spring 2010 digital preservation training program workshops.

Council News - 2012 Membership Rates Frozen!

The ICPSR Council unanimously agreed to hold 2012 membership fees
constant at 2011 rates. We know these economic times are challenging,
and we hope this provides at least some budget relief.

Remembering Spring - The ICPSR Bulletin

The 2009 Spring ICPSR Bulletin is available, once again, fully online.
This edition contains the articles submitted by ICPSR's most recent OR
Sabbatical Fellows!

Get Bytes Faster - ICPSR's New Web Site!

ICPSR is upgrading its Web site for more efficient navigation,
searching, and use of data resources. Beta testing of the site is
under way with a full launch, including an updated look, expected in
August.