[Eurobarometer] Data disparity in Eurobarometer or just illusion?

Moschner, Meinhard Meinhard.Moschner at gesis.org
Tue Oct 14 10:07:02 EDT 2014

Dear Waqas Ejaz,
thank you very much for your attentive and important question.

In general, the BASIC BILINGUAL QUESTIONNAIRE is the starting point for the translation into the different languages (and country contexts) which ends up in the national field questionnaires (which may again have more than one language version as for example in the case of Belgium). For a rough description of the translation process, please see: http://www.gesis.org/eurobarometer-data-service/survey-series/standard-special-eb/sampling-and-fieldwork/ (paragraph on “The questionnaire”).

Differences between basic bilingual (master) and final field questionnaires, even in the same language, may result from country specific language characteristics or from country specific institutional, social, cultural etc. contexts to which a question may refer. Functional equivalence is decisive, not necessarily identity.

In Eurobarometer 80.1 for example the first two items in QA2a differ insofar as the UK fieldwork institute obviously considered more adequate the use of the term “state” (of economy) instead of “situation”; the Irish institute applies “state” instead of situation only for the second item; the English language questionnaire for Malta keeps with “situation” for both items. Of course the parenthesis “Nationality” in the basic questionnaire is replaced by a reference to the respective country and QA2b does not appear in the UK questionnaire because it is only used for the Turkish Cypriot Community. Another good example would be item 7 of QA10 where the country specific name for the respective national parliament has to be applied.

Anyway, it is always advisable and good practice to have a look at the national language versions of a questionnaire (language knowledge provided), especially if one doubts about the plausibility of (differences in) results compared between countries. That’s the rationale for making available all language versions of a questionnaire!

Did you come across any translation/adaptation issue which might be suspicious to bias results?

With kind regards
Meinhard Moschner

--
GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences
Dept. Data Archive for the Social Sciences (DAS)

Unter Sachsenhausen 6-8
D-50667 Cologne
Germany
http://g.co/maps/wubwq