[Eurobarometer] Spike in life satisfaction in the UK 2004

Lindsay Richards lindsay.richards at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk
Wed Sep 17 08:53:32 EDT 2014

Dear Eurobarometer researchers,

I am a new Eurobarometer data user but am using it, along with other data sources, to construct a time-series analysis of subjective well-being in the UK.

The item I am interested in is life satisfaction. In a typical year, in the UK, around 33% would describe themselves as very satisfied, 54% fairly, 9% not very and 3% not at all satisfied. However, looking at the trend, a spike is evident in 2004. The pattern of response is only unusual in study number 4231 (data collected Autumn 2004), where 46% choose very satisfied, 47% fairly, 5% not very and 2% not at all. Please note that these percentages are with weighted data (though the disparity is similar unweighted) and the differences are statistically significantly different compared to other years.

I was wondering if any more experienced users might be able to offer an explanation for why this might be? Is this applicable to the UK only, or has anyone noticed a similar phenomenon in other countries? Was this particular survey untypical in some way?

With thanks in advance,

Lindsay Richards

Note, you can reply to me personally at Lindsay.richards at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk<mailto:Lindsay.richards at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk>