[Eurobarometer] Eurobarometers 54.1 and 56.3: territorialattachment

Marco Antonsich Marco.Antonsich at colorado.edu
Mon Nov 27 13:17:21 EST 2006

Hi JOhn,
Thanks for your message. Well, I looked into the structure of the
questionnaire. Difficult to say...
Looking at Eb 56.3 (2002), I do notice that, in contrast to previous surveys,
right before the question about territorial attachment at the four scales,
questions about the pros and cons of European enlargement were asked. If I take
Q.41 (“Do you personally think that the process of new countries joining the
European Union should be sped up, slowed down or stay as it is?”) as a way to
measure the level of satisfaction of respondents about the enlargement, I do
see that, on average, 50% of respondents are in favor of ‘stay as it is’. Yet
whether these questions might have affected the answers to Q. 47 (territorial
attachment at four scales) is difficult to say. I have some doubts though. In
fact, while in 1991 (Eb 36) and 1995 (Eb 43.1 bis) questions about smoking and
environment were respectively asked just before the question about territorial
attachment, in 1999 (Eb 51.0) and in 2000 (Eb 54.1) questions about the pros
and cons of the EU membership and questions about feeling of European pride
were respectively asked. It is reasonable to expect that these two types of
questions would have created the same ‘intellectual context’ than Q.41 and the
subsequent questions of Eb 56.3 (2002). But no major decline was associated
with those two previous surveys.

September 11th might come to my mind, but it is just a suggestion...

marco

https://webfiles.colorado.edu/antonsic/www/