[EB] Re: orl Looking for Belgium surveys with detailed occu

Meinhard Moschner moschner at unix1.za.uni-koeln.de
Mon Aug 9 05:34:45 EDT 1999

...looking for Belgium surveys with detailed occupation
categories ... Eurobarometer ...

Dear James, dear Francois (e-mail address?)

The only Eurobarometer with somewhat more detailed
occupations categories dates from 1996 and was applied
in Eurobarometer 44.3OVR (ZA Study number 2830 /
ICPSR study number 2443). It is based on ISCO and was
recoded as follows (only the recoded variable is available):

Q10R
1 "Legislators and senior officials"
2   "Corporate managers"
3   "General managers/ managers of small enterprises"
4   "Physical, mathematical and engineering science professionals"
5   "Life science and health professionals"
6   "Teaching professionals"
7   "Other professionals"
8   "Physical and engineering science associate professionals"
9   "Life science and health associate professionals"
10 "Teaching associate professionals"
11  "Other associate professionals"
12  "Office clerks"
13   "Customer service clerks"
14 "Personal and protective services workers"
15  "Models, salespersons and demonstrators"
16  "Market-oriented skilled agricultural and fishery worker Ski"
17  "Subsistence agricultural and fishery workers"
18  "Extraction and building trades workers"
19  "Metal, machinery and related trades workers"
20  "Precision, handicraft, printing and related trades workers"
21 "Other craft and related trades workers"
22 "Stationary plant and related operators"
23  "Machine operators and assemblers"
24  "Drivers and mobile plant operators"
25  "Sales and services elementary occupations"
26  "Agricultural, fishery and related labourers"
27  "Mining, construction, manufacturing, transport and related l"
28  "Armed forces"

For more information (e.g. basic questionnaires) please have a
look at the following Eurobarometer page at the ZA website:
http://www.za.uni-koeln.de/data/en/eurobarometer/topics.htm.

You might also want to contact the Belgian Data Archive:
http://bass.rspo.ucl.ac.be/bass/.

Best regards
Meinhard Moschner

> Date:          Fri, 06 Aug 1999 13:32:36 -0400
> From:          Theodore Hull <theodore.hull at arch2.nara.gov>
> To:            eurobarometer at icpsr.umich.edu, orl at majordomo.srv.ualberta.ca,
>                cassell at vance.irss.unc.edu, sos-data at vance.irss.unc.edu
> Subject:       [EB] Re: orl Looking for Belgium surveys with detailed occupational
>                & income data

> Dear Jim et al.:
>
> Among the holdings of the Center for Electronic Records, National
> Archives and Records Administration, are international attitudinal
> surveys conducted under the auspices of the United States
> Information Agency (USIA).  These survey data files and the
> associated technical documentation are in the Records of the United
> States Information Agency (Record Group 306).  Titles of surveys
> conducted ca. 1950's-1985 (bulk conducted 1973-1985) are included in
> our "Title List: A Preliminary and Partial List of Data Files in the
> National Archives and Records Administration."  You can directly
> access the Record Group 306 titles at:
>
> http://www.nara.gov/nara/electronic/sta.html#usia
>
> I extracted from this list the titles of nine survey files conducted
> in Belgium and those titles follow.  In addition, we have received
> transfers of additional surveys ca. 1986-1992.  Among those
> additional surveys are four more conducted in Belgium: Survey on
> Security Issues: "Salt & Mustard", 1985 (I85055); December 1987 Post
> Summit Telephone Survey (I88002); 1988 Security Survey (I88062); and
> the Belgium Focus Study Group [U.S. Belgium Relations], 1988
> (I880112).
>
> I reviewed the documentation for five of these surveys (the 1956
> survey and those conducted in 1982 and 1983).  In the case of the
> two conducted in 1982, they include data on some general demographic
> characteristics of respondents including sex, age range, educational
> attainment, language, composition of household, and occupation (10
> categories, not extremely detailed).  It's not clear from the
> documentation for the other files whether similar demographic data
> was collected by them.  The sample sizes for these surveys tend to
> be small, generally 1,000 respondents or less.
>
> If Francois or others think they may be interested in further
> information about any of the surveys itemized here or in our Title
> List, please do not hesitate to contact me again.  Note that we do
> charge a cost recovery fee for copies of data files (made on
> diskette, CD-ROM, 9-track tape or 3480-class tape cartridge) and
> some files may be preserved in EBCDIC multi-punch format.
>
> Ted Hull
> Center for Electronic Records
> National Archives and Record Administration
> 301-713-6645, ext. 253
>
> ATTITUDE: SRVYS OF FOREIGN PERCEP. OF INT'L STRENGTH+SECURITY,
> GEN.POP. 1956, BELGIUM (I56001)    NA, RM      306
>
> ATTITUDE: SRVYS OF FOREIGN PERCEP. OF INT'L STRENGTH+SECURITY,
> GEN.POP-URBAN/REG. (SECURITY) 1984, BELGIUM
> [...]

 Zentralarchiv fuer Empirische Sozialforschung
 Meinhard Moschner
 Bachemer Str. 40
 D-50931 Koeln

 Tel.:  (++49)-(0)221-47694-21