[EB] Re: orl Looking for Belgium surveys with detailed occupational & income data

Theodore Hull theodore.hull at arch2.nara.gov
Fri Aug 6 13:32:36 EDT 1999

Dear Jim et al.:

Among the holdings of the Center for Electronic Records, National Archives and Records Administration, are international attitudinal surveys conducted under the auspices of the United States Information Agency (USIA).  These survey data files and the associated technical documentation are in the Records of the United States Information Agency (Record Group 306).  Titles of surveys conducted ca. 1950's-1985 (bulk conducted 1973-1985) are included in our "Title List: A Preliminary and Partial List of Data Files in the National Archives and Records Administration."  You can directly access the Record Group 306 titles at:

http://www.nara.gov/nara/electronic/sta.html#usia

I extracted from this list the titles of nine survey files conducted in Belgium and those titles follow.  In addition, we have received transfers of additional surveys ca. 1986-1992.  Among those additional surveys are four more conducted in Belgium: Survey on Security Issues: "Salt & Mustard", 1985 (I85055); December 1987 Post Summit Telephone Survey (I88002); 1988 Security Survey (I88062); and the Belgium Focus Study Group [U.S. Belgium Relations], 1988 (I880112).

I reviewed the documentation for five of these surveys (the 1956 survey and those conducted in 1982 and 1983).  In the case of the two conducted in 1982, they include data on some general demographic characteristics of respondents including sex, age range, educational attainment, language, composition of household, and occupation (10 categories, not extremely detailed).  It's not clear from the documentation for the other files whether similar demographic data was collected by them.  The sample sizes for these surveys tend to be small, generally 1,000 respondents or less.

If Francois or others think they may be interested in further information about any of the surveys itemized here or in our Title List, please do not hesitate to contact me again.  Note that we do charge a cost recovery fee for copies of data files (made on diskette, CD-ROM, 9-track tape or 3480-class tape cartridge) and some files may be preserved in EBCDIC multi-punch format.

Ted Hull
Center for Electronic Records
National Archives and Record Administration
301-713-6645, ext. 253

ATTITUDE: SRVYS OF FOREIGN PERCEP. OF INT'L STRENGTH+SECURITY, GEN.POP. 1956, BELGIUM (I56001)    NA, RM      306

ATTITUDE: SRVYS OF FOREIGN PERCEP. OF INT'L STRENGTH+SECURITY, GEN.POP-URBAN/REG. (SECURITY) 1984, BELGIUM
 (I84034)  INC         306

ATTITUDE: SRVYS OF FOREIGN PERCEP. OF INT'L STRENGTH+SECURITY, GEN.POP-URBAN/REG. (SECURITY) 1985, BELGIUM
 (I85009)         INC         306

ATTITUDE: INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC ISSUES, GENERAL POPULATION-URBAN/REG. (AMER'N FOR. POLICY) 1978, BELGIUM
 (I78001)         INC         306

ATTITUDE: INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC ISSUES, GENERAL
 POPULATION-URBAN/REGIONAL (LRTNF), 1981, BELGIUM (I81056)
          INC         306

ATTITUDE: INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC ISSUES, GENERAL
 POPULATION-URBAN/REGIONAL (NUCLEAR ISS.) 1982, BELGIUM (I82014)
          NA          306

ATTITUDE: INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC ISSUES, GENERAL
 POPULATION-URBAN/REGIONAL (NATO), 1982, BELGIUM (I82060)
          INC         306

ATTITUDE: INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC ISSUES, GENERAL
 POPULATION-URBAN/REGIONAL (INF-ECONOMICS) 1983, BELGIUM
 (I83022)         INC         306

ATTITUDE: INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC ISSUES, GENERAL
 POPULATION-URBAN/REGIONAL (INF-SECURITY)1983, BELGIUM (I83031)
          INC         306

>>> James Cassell <cassell at vance.irss.unc.edu> 08/06/99 09:43AM >>>
Distributed by: The Informal List for ICPSR Official Representatives

I received the following request from a faculty member here at UNC. The
Eurobarometer survey *may* suffice, but I'm wondering if there's
something else out there. Note that he wants a more detailed measure of
occupation than what's used in the Luxemborg Income Study.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

James
James Cassell                                cassell at irss.unc.edu
Institute for Research in Social Science     http://www.irss.unc.edu/cassell/
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill  Phone: 919/962-0782