[EB] Eurobarometer 10

Joe Willey jwilley at binghamton.edu
Thu Jul 22 15:01:45 EDT 1999

Fern,
Not completely sure of the answer as you did not supply the text of the warning
measure. But I don't think it's a problem.
The dual use of  codes is something that I have been railing about in ICPSR
data sets a lot recently. It can take up a lot of space, but the later
Euro-Barometers split EVERYTHING up by countries for which I'm thankful (ie a
question on media usage in the questionnaire will be translated to x number of
variables-one for each country the question was asked in).
You (and your user) just need to be sure that you only use this variable when
it is subsetted by country. Alternatively, recode it.
To pepeat, I doubt anything's wrong, but send me what spss warning message you
are getting and I can try to confirm that nothing's wrong.

Cheers. Joe

"Bennett, Fern" wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has encountered a warning message in SPSS in
> regards to variable 27 in
> Eurobarometer 10: National Priorities and the Institutions of Europe,
> October -November 1978.    I can
> see what the problem is but am not experienced enough the know whether I
> should just disregard this
> warning.  In the SPSS cards values 1, 3 and 0 are used twice.  The codebook
> says values 1, 3 and 0 are
> the Netherlands, Italy and Denmark, but also France, Irland, Britain and
> Northern Ireland use these values.
> I hope I haven't totally confused everyone.  Thanks.
> Fern Bennett  fbennett at indiana.edu <mailto:fbennett at indiana.edu>   855-1451
> Database Manager
> Department of Political Science
> Indiana University