[EB] stark

Harald Klein klein at ifsws.soziologie.uni-jena.de
Wed May 6 08:19:34 EDT 1998

Frank Aarebrot wrote:

> Ithink the EURO is a going concern. My projection is that any conceivable German government after the election will continue to support it, but there might be a lot of "symbolic flak" during the campaign.

Both big parties are sometimes so similiar that they seek for something they differ, e.g. recently the CSU in the Bundesrat. Well, there is a lot of "symbolic flak", and I am afraid it will last at least until September 27th. But after that I think politics
will get back to normal, and the Euro will be no subject in discussion. What is remarkable in Germany now is that the banks start to inform their customers about the Euro. One also must have in mind that in 1922/1923 and 1948 big parts of the population lost
their savings because of new currencies,  and they are afraid that this might happen again. Of course the introduction of the Euro cannot be compared to this, but most people are uninformed (yet).

Just a few remakrs in this subject: this morning Radio MDR Th|ringen said that the percentage of scepticists in Th|ringen went down the last two months and is just over 50 % now. They did not mention the source.

Regards

Harald Klein

Dr. Harald Klein
Universitdt Jena