[DDI-users] Translation tools/processes from syntax files to DDICodebook

Adrian Dușa dusa.adrian at unibuc.ro
Fri Apr 23 16:46:34 EDT 2021

I have an R package that can do that out of the box. The command is as
simple as:
convert("yourfile.dta", to = "DDI")

The latest development version depends on another R package called "haven",
which (in its latest development version but yet not published on CRAN) can
read and write Stata style defined missing values such as .a, .b etc.
In the XML codebook file, they are automatically (and consistently across
all variables) replaced with negative numbers such as -1, -2 etc.

Both development versions can be installed from GitHub, using:

library(remotes)
install_github("tidyverse/haven")
install_github("dusadrian/DDIwR")

I'd be happy to be of assistance in case you need any help.

I hope this helps,
Adrian

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 9:23 PM Wendy Thomas <wlt at umn.edu> wrote:

> I had this question within another conversation recently and was wondering
> what people were using and if there were any new tools out there.
>
> "While I have your attention: what is the process of creating the DDI
> codebooks based on existing data sets? Suppose I have a labeled data set in
> Stata, what would I need to do to produce a DDI codebook XML file out if
> it? "
>
> Answer to the list. I'll compile and I'm sure others are interested.
>
> Wendy
>
> --
> Wendy L. Thomas                              Phone: +1 612.624.4389
> Data Access Core Director                 Fax:   +1 612.626.8375
> Minnesota Population Center             Email: wlt at umn.edu
> University of Minnesota
> 50 Willey Hall
> 225 19th Avenue South