[DDI-users] Where does this "variable" information go in DDI

Claire Stent claire.stent at stats.govt.nz
Sun Sep 20 16:34:45 EDT 2020

Hi

I am struggling to decide where to put this hybrid content.

I is looking at where to put some of the statistical metadata for our next Census of Population and Dwellings.
We have a "warrant of fitness" which shows a number of quality characteristics of "variables".
I say "variables" because they are not instance variables or necessarily represented variables.
This includes quality information, population, classifications, source data and more.

Census staff, and our users, want this information in one place rather than in many different DDI objects.
DDI objects like source and population also seem to be more at the study level rather than the variable level.
Last time, because of time constraints,  we added them as a variable set. This time, we have time for a more  planned solution.

Here are some examples. Ignore the reference to variable in the title:
Activity limitations (information about this variable and its quality): http://datainfoplus.stats.govt.nz/Item/nz.govt.stats/83ca312b-bd72-4a13-bdcf-14c570710700

Ethnicity (information about this variable and its quality)
http://datainfoplus.stats.govt.nz/Item/nz.govt.stats/7079024d-6231-4fc4-824f-dd8515d33141

Families and households: extended family type (information about this variable and its quality)
http://datainfoplus.stats.govt.nz/Item/nz.govt.stats/8475d030-4705-4698-9e70-1c71a1f84232

Iwi (information about this variable and its quality)
http://datainfoplus.stats.govt.nz/Item/nz.govt.stats/518050af-47e8-486a-8f3c-f0995d3a716b

Any suggestions are welcome.

Claire Stent
Practice Lead - Data Management