[DDI-users] DDI Bylaws amendments approved + DDI Alliance Scientific Board nominations

Jared Lyle lyle at umich.edu
Tue Nov 3 00:53:05 EST 2020

Dear DDI community,

In September and October, DDI members voted on proposed amendments
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L9A49qdWY6oMFN-XOOB5aMKHdE38b2Rh/view?usp=sharing
 > to the DDI Bylaws about a restructuring of the DDI Scientific Board,
which is the scientific and technical body of the Alliance.  Twenty-one of
the 28 eligible voting designated member representatives voted "Yes", one
voted "I formally decline to vote", and six did not respond.  The vote
passed with a two-thirds majority, which means the Bylaws amendments are
adopted.

These changes were proposed by a temporary working group
<https://ddi-alliance.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DDI4/pages/850853895/Scientific+Board+Revision+-+temporary+working+group>
composed
of DDI member representatives, discussed at the 2020 annual Meeting of
Members, and subsequently distributed to the entire membership for comments
and further edits.  I want to especially thank the temporary working group,
chaired by Ingo Barkow, that drafted and proposed the Bylaws amendments.

As a next step, *we are soliciting nominations for members of the
restructured Scientific Board*.  The purposes of the Scientific Board are
to:

   - Provide direction and coordination in the development of the
   substantive content of the DDI standards and other work products of the
   Alliance by its sub-committees and working groups within the context of the
   Alliance Strategic Plan.
   - Implement the scientific work plan agreed at the Annual Meeting of the
   Scientific Community.
   - Oversee the substantive content of DDI standards and other work
   products.
   - Undertake research and testing concerning proposals for DDI standards
   and other work products.
   - Develop and promulgate best practices for use of DDI standards and
   work products.
   - Assess progress and barriers to progress.
   - Provide a report on progress of the scientific work plan over the
   previous year, and proposals for the future scientific direction and
   related activities to the Annual Meeting of the Scientific Community.

Please email nominations directly to me (lyle at umich.edu).  Feel free to
reach out with questions.  Please submit your nominations by 30 November
2020.  In early December, the Alliance membership will elect the members of
the Scientific Board.

The restructured Scientific Board will be composed of seven voting members
elected by the Members of the Alliance.  For the initial election, three
will be elected for two-year terms and four for four-year terms; all terms
will start 1 January 2021 and run through 30 June of their respective term
periods.  The Executive Director and Chair of the Technical Committee shall
serve as ex‐officio members, without internal vote, of the Scientific
Board. Representatives from Members and Associate Members of the Alliance
are eligible to serve as elected members of the Scientific Board.  A
majority of the elected members of the Scientific Board must be from Member
Organizations.

Sincerely,
Jared

Jared Lyle