[DDI-users] DDI Directions Volume XV, Number 2, May 2017

mcianna at umich.edu mcianna at umich.edu
Thu May 18 13:15:08 EDT 2017

Having trouble viewing this message? Links disabled? Click or copy:
http://www.ddialliance.org/sites/default/files/ddi-directions-2017-05.pdf

*Executive Director's Note*

We look forward to seeing many of our members in Kansas for our annual
Meeting of Members and meeting of the Scientific Board. At our meeting this
year, we will discuss our strategic plan, including a vision for long-term
DDI infrastructure. We hope for an engaging discussion.

Jared Lyle, Director, DDI Alliance, lyle at umich.edu

*In This Issue*

   - DDI Alliance to Meet in Lawrence, KS, on May 22nd <#a01>
   - NADDI Conference Held in Ithaca, New York <#a02>
   - New Members! <#a03>
   - DDI at AAPOR and ESRA <#a04>
   - New working group: DDI Workflows for Dataverse <#a05>
   - DDI Training Group Creating How-To Videos, Your Help Needed! <#a06>
   - NEW PUBLICATION From the Technical Committee <#a07>

Volume XV, Number 2, May 2017
DDI Alliance to Meet in Lawrence, KS, on May 22nd

The DDI Alliance will hold its annual meeting on Monday, May 22, 2017, in
the Big 12 Room of the University of Kansas Memorial Union in Lawrence,
Kansas (the day before the start of the IASSIST conference
<http://www.iassist2017.org/>). The morning will be devoted to the Meeting
of Members and the afternoon to the meeting of the Scientific Board with
lunch provided in between. As in previous years, in most cases it will be
the same person attending both meetings, but do feel free to send different
people. View the agenda for the meeting
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JBGgZG309kRD3zlxg5vvCtn_WcZkmQLw9apfy0iL4r0/edit#heading=h.dbe82sdcd9p5>.

[image: IASSIST 2017] NADDI Conference Held in Ithaca, New York [image: N A
D D I logo]

NADDI2017 <http://naddiconf.org/2017/>, the 5th Annual North American DDI
User Conference, took place December 5-7, 2016, in Ithaca, New York. The
conference was hosted by the Cornell Institute for Social and Economic
Research <https://ciser.cornell.edu/> (CISER) and The Roper Center for
Public Opinion Research.

The conference program included 15 presentations covering a range of
DDI-centric topics such as using METS and DDI to improve preservation
workflows for research data, as well as general metadata initiatives, such
as the exciting new public history metadata project, Freedom on the Move
<http://freedomonthemove.org/>. Freedom on the Move is a database of
runaway slave newspaper ads populated by crowdsourcing, used to both
transcribe the ad and fill specific metadata fields. The conference program
also included 7 posters, and 2 workshops. The keynote address was given by
Dr. Peter Enns, Executive Director of the Roper Center, entitled "Why We
Need Survey Data and Data Archives to Understand Mass Incarceration". Stay
tuned for the location of NADDI2018!
[image: D D I logo]

Credit: Tim Parsons Photography <http://www.timparsonsphotography.com/>
New Members! [image: MIDUS logo]

The DDI Alliance recently welcomed the University of Wisconsin Institute on
Aging - MIDUS <http://midus.wisc.edu/> study (Barry Radler, representative)
as a Full Member. They were previously an Associate Member of the Alliance.
[image: Statistics Estonia logo]

The Alliance also welcomed Statistics Estonia (Kaia Kulla, representative)
as an Associate Member.
DDI at AAPOR and ESRA

DDI will be well represented at both the American Association for Public
Opinion Research (AAPOR)
<https://www.aapor.org/Conference-Events/Annual-Meeting.aspx> annual
conference in New Orleans, LA, May 18-21, and the European Survey Research
Association (ESRA) <https://www.europeansurveyresearch.org/conference>
conference in Lisbon, Portugal, July 18-21. At AAPOR an entire session will
be devoted to "Collecting, Managing and Sharing Data - Using the Data
Documentation Initiative (DDI) Standard across the Survey Research
Lifecycle"
<https://www.aapor.org/getattachment/Conference-Events/Annual-Meeting/AAPOR-17-CP_webFNL.pdf.aspx>
on Sunday, May 21st. Session 4, 10:15am - 11:45am, Oak Alley, Fourth Floor.
In addition, ICPSR and the DDI Alliance will be sharing a booth (29) in the
exhibitor's hall. At ESRA, a full session on Thursday, July 20, will be
dedicated to "Putting data in the driver's seat: The role of active
(meta-)data in survey data management"
<https://www.europeansurveyresearch.org/conference/programme2017?sess=48&day=3>,
11:00am - 12:30pm, room N AUD4. DDI also will host an exhibition stand at
ESRA.
[image: D D I poster] New working group: DDI Workflows for Dataverse

A new working group, DDI Workflows for Dataverse
<https://ddi-alliance.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DDI4/DDI+Workflows+for+Dataverse>,
has been created to develop use cases for improved support of DDI in
the Dataverse
repository platform <http://dataverse.org/>, and to coordinate development
projects that utilize DDI generated by or with Dataverse in support of
research data across the lifecycle. The chairs of the working group are
Amber Leahey (Scholars Portal) and Danny Brooke (IQSS, Harvard University).
If you have any interest in joining this working group, please contact one
of the chairs. Contact information is listed on the working group page
<https://ddi-alliance.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DDI4/DDI+Workflows+for+Dataverse>
.
[image: Dataverse logo] [image: D D I logo] DDI Training Group Creating
How-To Videos, Your Help Needed!

The DDI Alliance Training Group
<https://ddi-alliance.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DDI4/Training+Group> is
creating short how-to videos about frequently asked topics and they need
your help! Topics such as, "What is DDI?", "How can you use DDI to document
questionnaires?", and "How can you use DDI for repeated data management?"
will be the subject of one video each. The goal is to make DDI more
understandable to potential users, especially by showcasing practical
applications.

   - If you are interested in joining the working group, please contact the
   chair, Amber Leahey (amber.leahey at utoronto.ca).
   - If you have suggestions about video topics, please add them to this
   online spreadsheet
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19Aslhd9VWgReJ4Ks3uJ_Tm7vzuIkt1FRCcKqQJtX-wc/edit#gid=0>
   .
   - If you have existing presentations you think would be worth turning
   into a short video presentation, please let Amber or the Training Group
   know.

[image: Camtasia logo] NEW PUBLICATION From the Technical Committee

Implementation Guide: Best Practices for Usage of DDI 3.2 and Future
Versions Increasing Interoperability and Ease of Adoption
<http://www.ddialliance.org/system/files/DDI%203.2%20Best%20Practices_0.pdf>
Version 1.0, May 2017

This document is the Implementation Guide for the Best Practices for usage
of DDI 3.2, and future DDI versions. It has been written to aid developers
and users in the implementation of the following Best Practice areas:

   - Serialization
   - Identification
   - Content

The following group of technical best practices offers a set of
requirements and recommendations that advance both interoperability and
ease of adoption.

The applicability of these Best Practices extends to all areas of DDI
adoption and software production for metadata systems, including:

   - Production of new metadata content profiles
   - Creation of new software for use with DDI
   - Updates or extensions to existing DDI software

This document is the first step by the Technical Committee to better
address the needs of new adopters of DDI. Our goal is to address major
questions raised during implementation of DDI to encourage consistent
approaches that will aid in increasing interoperability as well as easing
transition between versions of DDI. We will continue to extend this
document as new areas are brought to our attention.

The document can be found on the DDI Alliance website here
<http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/DDI-Lifecycle/3.2/>. Comments
relating to the material contained in this document may be submitted to the
DDI Technical Committee: ddi-srg at icpsr.umich.edu