[DDI-users] Describing 11179 objects in DDI

Samuel Spencer theodore.therone at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 18:54:27 EST 2014

Hi all,

Had a bit of a look around and could use some pointers.
I'm working on serialsing 11179 objects for inter-registry transmission and
I'm hoping to use DDI as the payload XML format, and want to do this in the
best way. Since most of my work has been focused more on questionnaire
design/flow, not variable/concept areas, I've hit some stumbling blocks and
would appreciate any help.

I've had a look on the DDI Examples page and there wasn't anything that
stood out.
http://www.ddialliance.org/resources/markup-examples

Google turned up a DataElement element is/was in the DDI 3.2 schema[1], but
the field level documentation site[2] shows this is no longer there.
[1]
http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/DDI-Lifecycle/3.2/XMLSchema/FieldLevelDocumentation/schemas/conceptualcomponent_xsd/elements/DataElement.html
[2]
http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/DDI-Lifecycle/3.2/XMLSchema/FieldLevelDocumentation/

What I'm hoping to find is a really good, widely excepted way for
describing the base 11179 objects

At least the Data Element and Data Element Concept, and if possible the
Object Class, Property, Value Domain in DDI.

Is there a standard way to map 11179 objects into DDI (Lifecycle or
Codebook) that I could build upon?

Cheers,
Sam.
--- Specificity is the soul of all good communication ---
--- When the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box ---
Find out more about me: http://about.me/legostormtroopr