[DDI-users] [Alliance-experts] quality of metadata

Amber Leahey amber.leahey at utoronto.ca
Fri Apr 25 09:31:36 EDT 2014

Interesting topic, I'm not that familiar with formal quality frameworks for assessing metadata, but I am curious to learn more. A lot of this is done informally as Wendy mentions, and depending on the context and discipline quality is may be assessed differently.

As a digital repository housed in a library, we view the quality of metadata in terms of completeness mostly. We measure completeness against a defined set of DDI-Codebook fields, outlined in a best practise guide. Templates are provided for quality control. Sometimes this means datasets and accompanying metadata are reviewed and revised ongoing and we have a general QC tracking list for tracking work at the file level. We also view our metadata quality in terms of consistency, DDI and the tools we use help us with that at a more syntactic level, but also more at the semantic level, we use structured topic categories and attempt to define the context of a dataset and its relation to other datasets. For example, tagging keywords and related keywords, use of parallel titles, series titles, etc. although our keyword list isn't the cleanest, and we are continually striving to improve the accuracy of search results.

Others?

Amber Leahey
Data Services Metadata Librarian
Scholars Portal, Ontario Council of University Libraries
416 978 6177
amber.leahey at utoronto.ca