[DDI-users] Data Element Discussion - Mantis Issue 543 and related [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Wendy Thomas wlt at umn.edu
Mon Mar 18 13:33:22 EDT 2013

Hi Al,

There were a couple of points raised with the originally proposed
DataElement in 3.2PR. First that it did not allow for a CodeListReference
but instead allowed for a DataElementRepresentation of type "Code" which
essentially indicated it was enumerated but didn't say with what. Our
initial position was that the DDI DataElement was a "stripped down"
codification of 11179 and we didn't provide extensive detail. It did
support the use of a Value Domain specification in the form of a
CategorySchemeReference (0..1). The DataElementRepresentation was a
specified list of options reflecting those noted in the earlier edition of
11179-3 (plus other...I think...I'd need to check).

The argument was made that a) "Code" should not be on this list and b)
CodeListReference should be allowed

[I think the additonal points regarding the support of the direct use of
DataElementConcept are not contensious]

After reading the changes made in the 2012 edition of 11179-3 I felt that
the differences between the use of a specific CodeList which provided
enumerated representation (permitted values and link to specific
concepts/category for each) and the use of "code" in a described
representation was clearer.

What I essentially threw out there was where we would go if we wanted
something broader than the very sparse view originally provided. This
seemed to be what was being requested...i.e. the ability to specify an
enuemrated representation. So if I was specifying that, why not more
specification to the described?

I think you are correct that the first question we need to answer is what
the function of DataElement is in DDI.

This could range from:

very narrow (remove the option for a CodeListReference and retain the
DataElementRepresentation (as either an internal enumeration or an external
Controlled Vocabulary...as edition 2012 leaves this pretty open)

full-fledged (11179-3 with all the bells and whistles except for the
administrative content)

I think questions on the implecations for inheritance by the Variable need
to be answered for either extreme as it has already been raised "why have
use the ConceptReference in a Variable if you've referenced a DataElement?"

The first quesion that needs to be answered is "What is the purpose of a
DDI DataElement?
I am currently agnostic on this and would like to hear from others.

Best regards,
Wendy

Minnesota Population Center             Email: wlt at umn.edu
University of Minnesota