[DDI-users] a question about schemes/versions/references

Alerk Amin A.Amin at uvt.nl
Thu Dec 16 06:44:39 EST 2010

Hello,

   I have a question regarding schemes, versioning and references.  The
following is a simplified version of a real use case that we have.

   Suppose we have a QuestionScheme qs, which has 3 questions qA, qB,
qC.  At the beginning (wave1 for example), we have

qs v1.0.0
	qA v1.0.0
	qB v1.0.0
	qC v1.0.0

At this point in time, its clear that any QuestionConstructs or
Variables that reference these questions would use
urn:ddi:agency:QuestionScheme.qs.1.0.0:QuestionItem.qA.1.0.0
  or something similar (I might not have the exact syntax correct).

Now, my question comes up when we move to wave 2.  Suppose qA and qB
remain the same, but we change qC.  Now, we have

qs v2.0.0
	qA v1.0.0
	qB v1.0.0
	qC v2.0.0

Now, a reference to qA would be
urn:ddi:agency:QuestionScheme.qs.2.0.0:QuestionItem.qA.1.0.0
   Even though the question has not changed, we have a different version
for the QuestionScheme, and therefore a different identifier for the
QuestionItem.  If we have two different variables for the 2 different
waves, they would have different QuestionItemReferences, and therefore
it becomes impossible to determine that they are based on the same question.

   Is my understanding of this correct?  If so, doesn't this hurt the
reusability of items?
   Thank you for your help.

Best,
Alerk

Alerk Amin M.Eng.
Senior Software Developer
CentERdata
Room K637 (Tilburg University, Koopmans Building)
Postal address   : PO Box 90153, 5000 LE, Tilburg, The Netherlands
Visiting address : Warandelaan 2, 5037 AB, Tilburg, The Netherlands
Telephone        : +31-13-466 2243 / 8325
Fax              : +31-13-466 2764
WWW              : www.centerdata.nl
Disclaimer       : See http://www.centerdata.nl/maildisclaimer.