[DDI-users] a question about schemes/versions/references

Joachim Wackerow joachim.wackerow at gesis.org
Thu Dec 16 07:26:48 EST 2010

Hi Alerk,

This understanding is correct. A new version of qC triggers a new
version of the question scheme. Then you have basically two identical
objects with none-identical identifiers.

You can use different approaches to solve the issue:

Alternative 1:
The QuestionItem for qA and qB can mention the objectSource, which is a
reference to the object from which the item is being copied.
http://www.ddialliance.org/sites/default/files/documentation/ddi3.1/schemas/reusable_xsd/complexTypes/AbstractIdentifiableType.html#r5

Alternative 2:
qs v2.0.0 could reference qA and qB in qs v1.0.0 where they live.

Alternative 3:
qA and qB could live in a resource package where they can be referenced
by wave 1 and 2.

Alternative 4:
It is possible to state in the comparison module that two questions
(here identical, but with different identifiers) are the same

Alternative 5:
With the grouping approach it is possible to push everything, which is a
candidate for reuse, to a higher level. Then no replication of objects
takes place.

Dependent from the background one of this solutions is preferable to the
others. As far as I understand alternative 1 and 3 seem to be good
candidates. They are not too hard to implement.

Cheers,
Achim

--
GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences
Department: Monitoring Society and Social Change
E-mail: joachim.wackerow at gesis.org
www.gesis.org/en/institute/