[DDI-users] Section 3 - File Description Interpretation

Michelle Edwards edwardsm at uoguelph.ca
Fri Apr 16 10:20:18 EDT 2004

Good morning all!

I was hoping someone could clarify the interpretation of Section 3 of the DDI DTD.  Should this section be describing the original datafile that we receive as data providers?  OR the datafile that we create?  Let me explain a bit more...

If I go to ICPSR and download a study - I will receive a datafile in a CSV format for example.  To make it accessible to my users at my institution I create a SAS dataset for our retrieval system.  When I create my DDI codebook - should I be referring to the CSV file or the SAS dataset file for Section 3?

Thanks and have a great day!
MIchelle
A. Michelle Edwards, Ph.D.
Academic Services, CCS
Vehicle Services Bldg, University of Guelph
Guelph, Ontario
N1G 2W1

PH: (519) 824-4120 Ext. 54539
FAX: (519) 767-1620