[ICPSR] Register today to save your seat in our short workshops!

Scott Campbell scocam at umich.edu
Wed May 11 12:07:26 EDT 2022

1-2 week workshops, register today to save your seat!
Next week is the official start of the 2022 ICPSR Summer Program! For
almost 60 years we've helped bridge the gap between dream and reality in
quantitative research, teaching methods and statistics to social scientists
the world over. We've got another great lineup of workshops this year that
will help you get the most out of your data in just one or two weeks.

See our schedule for 2022 Short Workshops
<https://umich.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4de0acf23f8cd9a943b256ebd&id=935cbdadbb&e=315a5923bb>
for
the full list of courses.
*Racial Attitudes, Racial Identities, and Politics*
June 20-24
Instructor: Ashley Jardina, Duke University

This one-week workshop will focus mostly on the nature of racial attitudes
and racial identities across different racial groups, and it will consider
the ways in which these constructs have been important for understanding
political attitudes and behavior over time. We will discuss theories of
racial attitudes and identities, delving into concepts like racial
resentment, racial stereotypes, group affect, and racial identity. The
course will cover best practices for measuring these constructs using
survey methods while delving into theoretical expectations for the ways in
which these attitudes and identities are associated with political
preferences and behavior. The workshop will include exercises involving
secondary analyses of various survey datasets based upon participants’ own
research interests.
*Regression Discontinuity Designs*
June 20-24
Instructors: Sebastian Calonico, Columbia University; Gonzalo Vazquez-Bare,
University of California-Santa Barbara

This short course gives an introduction to the basic principles of the
Regression Discontinuity (RD) design, and also discusses recent
methodological developments in the interpretation and analysis of this
quasi-experimental design. The workshop provides an accessible summary of
the assumptions behind the RD design and introduces participants to
different methods that are appropriate for the successful analysis of RD
empirical applications. The course also covers extensions to the basic RD
design, including fuzzy RD designs and RD designs with discrete running
variables.
*Theoretical Modeling for the Social Sciences*
June 20-24
Instructor: Bear Braumoeller, Ohio State University

The core domain knowledge of any scientific discipline is made up of
theoretical models, such as the Bohr model of the atom in physics.
Unfortunately, in the social sciences, we teach theory-testing much more
than we teach theorizing. As a result, our theories are often poorly
articulated and only loosely captured by empirical tests. This is a course
about how to theorize in the social sciences, using computational models
and simulations as a medium. It explores both the construction of
computational models, in the easy-to-learn, open-source NetLogo programming
language, and ways in which theoretical models, once constructed, might be
usefully connected to data.
*Other workshops starting in June - plenty to choose from!*

   - June 6-10: Process Tracing in Qualitative and Mixed Methods Research
   - June 6-17: Network Analysis: Statistical Approaches
   - June 13-17: Applied Multilevel Models for Longitudinal and Clustered
   Data
   - June 13-17: Usage and Application of Meta-Analysis Techniques
   - June 20-July 1: Techniques for the Analysis of Legal and Judicial Data
   - June 20-July 1: Multilevel Modeling in the Social Sciences
   - June 21-June 30: Item Response Theory: Methods for Scale Development
   and Analysis

Full Short Workshop Schedule
<https://umich.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4de0acf23f8cd9a943b256ebd&id=7a6d505d75&e=315a5923bb>

*Stay up-to-date with the Summer Program!*
You can keep up with the program on social media (Twitter,
<https://umich.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4de0acf23f8cd9a943b256ebd&id=c9586879dd&e=315a5923bb>
 Facebook
<https://umich.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4de0acf23f8cd9a943b256ebd&id=1edfa2a23b&e=315a5923bb>
, Instagram
<https://umich.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4de0acf23f8cd9a943b256ebd&id=9fe1a0b47f&e=315a5923bb>),
or sign up for our email list. Or both!
Subscribe to the Summer Program email list
<https://umich.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4de0acf23f8cd9a943b256ebd&id=71db030e8f&e=315a5923bb>
[image: Twitter]
<https://umich.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4de0acf23f8cd9a943b256ebd&id=57fafee4c5&e=315a5923bb>
[image: Facebook]
<https://umich.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4de0acf23f8cd9a943b256ebd&id=9347d5338c&e=315a5923bb>
[image: Instagram]
<https://umich.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4de0acf23f8cd9a943b256ebd&id=9bf3cd3aaf&e=315a5923bb>
[image: Website]
<https://umich.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4de0acf23f8cd9a943b256ebd&id=29b33cedeb&e=315a5923bb>
Scott Campbell
ICPSR Summer Program Communications & Video Services Coordinator
Follow the Summer Program on social media!
<https://www.facebook.com/ICPSRSummerProgram/>
<https://twitter.com/ICPSRSummer>
<https://www.instagram.com/icpsrsummer/>
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgQWgr9Np3SKx54T_0hbo-Q>