[ICPSR] ICPSR DataBytes -- Autumn 2021 - Gratitude Inside!

Linda Detterman lindamd at umich.edu
Wed Nov 17 14:03:09 EST 2021

Open in your browser
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/files/ICPSR/enewsletters/2021-11-Autumn.html>
[image: I C P S R Autumn DataBytes]

*In This Issue*

   - ICPSR's Autumn Byte <#m_-27683731235208291_a01>
   - Reflecting on the 2021 Biennial ICPSR Meeting
   <#m_-27683731235208291_a02>
   - A Bounty of Student Opportunity! <#m_-27683731235208291_a03>
   - 2022 ICPSR Summer Program – A Cornucopia of Methods Learning
   Opportunities! <#m_-27683731235208291_a04>
   - ICPSR Membership Invoices and Gratitude <#m_-27683731235208291_a05>
   - Giving Thanks for the Launch of Data-Driven Resources for the ICPSR
   Community <#m_-27683731235208291_a06>
   - Extending our Gratitude for Service to the Data Community
   <#m_-27683731235208291_a07>
   - Plentiful Data in your Field? Let Us Help You Share It!
   <#m_-27683731235208291_a08>
   - Data "is" for Everyone, and so is Participation in Love Data Week 2022
   <#m_-27683731235208291_a09>
   - Ringing in the New Year at 60! <#m_-27683731235208291_a10>

*Get Connected!*
[image: Follow us on Facebook]
<//www.facebook.com/pages/ICPSR/43191688396> [image:
Follow us on Twitter] <http://twitter.com/icpsr> [image: sign up for
newsletter]
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/about/lists/index.html> [image:
follow us on YouTube] <http://www.youtube.com/user/ICPSRWeb> [image: Follow
us on Instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/theicpsr/>

*Membership Bits*

Current membership count: 790

# ICPSR Facebook Fans: 4,776

# Twitter Followers: 8,074

# YouTube Subscribers: 1,872

# Instagram Followers: 281

This newsletter was broadcast on behalf of:

ICPSR
University of Michigan
330 Packard
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

*Email Feedback* <netmail at icpsr.umich.edu>

*Manage your subscription*
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/about/lists/icpsr-announce.html>
[image: ICPSR DataBytes] ICPSR's Autumn Byte

As the last leaves fall, the daylight hours dim, and the air becomes crisp,
we encourage you to find some hot, mulled cider, and enjoy ICPSR’s fall
edition of *DataBytes*!
Reflecting on the 2021 Biennial ICPSR Meeting

Over 315 attendees representing 200+ institutions and 16 countries joined
ICPSR virtually for 19 workshops, sessions, and events, October 6-8. The
theme for this meeting was “Data Positivity: Data Doing Good,” and the
conference was positively great! The biennial meeting highlighted ICPSR’s
current data collections, collaborations, data-related tools, and evolving
data projects. Did you miss it or want to relive it? Recordings and
presentation slides are available on ICPSR’s YouTube Channel in the 2021
ICPSR Biennial playlist
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqC9lrhW1VvbtV7GtM4u4ZnI1RsDKHIBj>.
Next up next fall: The ICPSR (virtual) Data Fair, September 19-23, 2022!
A Bounty of Student Opportunity!

ICPSR invites submissions for the ICPSR 2022 Research Paper Competitions
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/ICPSR/prize/index.html> for
undergraduates and master’s students. The competitions award first place *cash
prizes of $1,000*! Deadline for entry: January 31, 2022.
2022 ICPSR Summer Program – A Cornucopia of Methods Learning Opportunities!

The first session of the 2022 Summer program runs June 20-July15 followed
by the second session that runs July 18-August 12, with short workshops
aplenty taking place May through August. In-person and virtual delivery are
in the planning phases; visit the ICPSR Summer Program website
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/sumprog/> for the latest details and
ICPSR member discounts and scholarships! In the meantime, please enjoy our 2021
Summer Program scrapbook <https://youtu.be/F5zmrKuTmio>.
ICPSR Membership Invoices and Gratitude

Invoices for the membership period beginning July 1, 2021, were mailed in
April and were due on August 30. We know this is a tough budget environment
for all of our members as it is for the Consortium itself. Thanks to our
members who have found creative ways to pay their membership fees. Missing
your invoice? Please contact us
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/about/contact.html>.
Giving Thanks for the Launch of Data-Driven Resources for the ICPSR
Community

ICPSR is thankful for our 2021 Visiting Representative Fellows who recently
launched new virtual learning resources on the ICPSR Website. Finding
Available Data Related to Restricted Topics
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/instructors/exercises.html>,
developed by Brianne Dorsch (University of Tennessee, Knoxville), will help
researchers identify openly available datasets that closely cover topics of
restricted use datasets but do not require IRB approval or a restricted
data use agreement. A Guide to Mapping ICPSR Data in R Studio
<https://aranganath24.github.io/icpsr_mapping_manual/index.html>, developed
by Aditya Ranganath (University of Colorado, Boulder), is a teaching
resource that an educator could use to demonstrate how certain ICPSR
datasets could be visualized and analyzed spatially using the R programming
language. Thanks to these incredible ICPSR Designated Representatives (DRs)
and their respective member institutions!
Extending our Gratitude for Service to the Data Community

ICPSR awarded Ron S. Jarmin, acting director, deputy director, and chief
operating officer of the U.S. Census Bureau, the 2021 Warren E. Miller
Award for Meritorious Service to the Social Sciences. Jane Fry, Data
Services Librarian (Carleton University), was awarded the 2021 William H.
Flanigan Award for Distinguished Service as an ICPSR Official
Representative. The Warren E. Miller Award for Meritorious Service to the
Social Sciences was initiated in 1993 to recognize individuals who have had
a profound impact on social science research and infrastructure. The
William H. Flanigan Award for Distinguished Service as an ICPSR Official
Representative was established in 1995 and is intended to acknowledge the
contributions of individuals representing ICPSR member institutions. Read
more <https://myumi.ch/ICPSRawards> on the awards and previous award
winners.
Plentiful Data in your Field? Let Us Help You Share It!

ICPSR welcomes and encourages deposits of digital data and offers a number
of data-sharing options that meet agency, foundation, and institutional
requirements for both public- and restricted-use data. Start sharing data
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/deposit/index.html> today! Know of
data that need to be shared? Please suggest data that ICPSR should archive
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/deposit/suggest.html>. Visit Depositing
Data with ICPSR <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsU5dlnSPv8> for an
overview in 2.25 minutes!
Data "is" for Everyone, and so is Participation in Love Data Week 2022

Data is for everyone! Wait ... data *are* for everyone? Either way, Love
Data Week 2022 is about how different folks use data. If you haven't
participated before, Love Data Week is the international celebration of
data. This year we’re focused on the people side of data. What does data
look like in different disciplines? How about biases in data ... who is
“in” the data and who is invisible? *We’re looking forward to hearing about
your events and activities* answering these and other important questions.
Visit us to learn about events and get involved in Love Data Week 2022
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/about/cms/3658?utm_source=all&utm_medium=all&utm_campaign=Love+Data+Week+International&utm_id=Love+Data+Week+International>
!
Ringing in the New Year at 60!

ICPSR, founded in 1962, celebrates 60 years of service to the data
community next year! Launched when the US population was 186,537,737, life
expectancy was 70.1 years, gas was 31 cents per gallon, and “Stranger on
the Shore <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jzx664u5DA>” by Acker Bilk was
the top *Billboard* hit, ICPSR continues its mission
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/about/> acting as a global leader in
data stewardship and providing rich data resources and responsive
educational opportunities for present and future generations. Stay tuned
for news of celebrations to come!

Sent via Mail Merge for Gmail
<https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/app/mail_merge_with_attachments/223404411203>