[ICPSR] NEW workshop on better variable measurement

Scott Campbell scocam at umich.edu
Tue May 4 12:25:20 EDT 2021

View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/icpsr/new-workshop-on-better-variable-measurement?e=[UNIQID]>
New workshop on variable measurement
One of a handful of new short workshops this summer!

*Methods for Better Measurement of Social Scientific Variables*

*Dates:* May 24-28, 2021
*Instructor: *Adam Enders, University of Louisville
*Registration Deadline*: May 20

Measurement lies at the center of all empirical scientific inquiry––without
estimates of the constructs we are interested in we cannot test theory. It
is fitting, then, that many of the most heated debates and controversies in
the social sciences regard measurement. How should we measure systems of
government, like democracy? What about individual-level political and
psychological orientations, like authoritarianism and ideology?

Despite the critical importance of sound measurement, rarely are the
theoretical principles or methodologies of measurement given serious
treatment in graduate training. This short workshop is designed to arm
graduate students, faculty, and other working professionals with the tools
they need to conduct “better” measurement––that which is more reliable,
more valid, and which displays desirable properties of other sorts.

The course begins with an exploration of the concept of statistical
reliability, including techniques designed to estimate reliability under
different circumstances. We will then consider how to enhance the
reliability of measures vis-à-vis multiple-variable scales. Next, we will
survey several methodologies––such as principal components analysis and
factor analysis––useful for examining the dimensionality of a set of
variables. These methods help bolster both the reliability and validity of
our measurements. Finally, we will learn how to properly execute these
methods in conjunction with one another, what results to report in
scientific books and articles, and other practical aspects of incorporating
better measurement into research projects.

*Bio:*  Adam Enders is an Assistant Professor of Political Science at the
University of Louisville. His research focuses on the role of suspicion and
conspiratorial thinking in American mass politics, the influence of core
values on political identities and attitudes, and the evolving nature of
mass polarization. He earned a Ph.D. in Political Science from Michigan
State University in 2016, and a B.A. in Political Science and Public Policy
from Albion College in 2011.

For more information about Adam, see his personal website:
www.adamenders.com
Visit our Short Workshop Portal
<https://web.cvent.com/event/2d61258f-6210-4abe-b8f9-8b44b3b1c1ed/websitePage:645d57e4-75eb-4769-b2c0-f201a0bfc6ce>
for
more information about this and all of our other short workshops!
All Short Workshops
<https://web.cvent.com/event/2d61258f-6210-4abe-b8f9-8b44b3b1c1ed/websitePage:645d57e4-75eb-4769-b2c0-f201a0bfc6ce>

*Stay up-to-date with the Summer Program!*

You can keep up with the program on social media (Twitter,
<https://twitter.com/ICPSRSummer> Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/ICPSRSummerProgram/>, Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/icpsrsummer/>), or sign up for our email list.
Or both!

Subscribe to the Summer Program email list
<https://umich.us3.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=4de0acf23f8cd9a943b256ebd&id=f0856462ab>
For more information about these or any other topics, email
sumprog at icpsr.umich.edu or visit www.icpsr.umich.edu/sumprog
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/sumprog/index.html>
[image: Twitter] <https://twitter.com/ICPSRSummer>
[image: Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/ICPSRSummerProgram>
[image: Instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/icpsrsummer/>
[image: Website] <http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/sumprog>
*Copyright © 2021 ICPSR Summer Program in Quantitative Methods of Social
Research, All rights reserved.*
Scott Campbell
ICPSR Summer Program Communications & Video Services Coordinator
Follow the Summer Program on social media!
<https://www.facebook.com/ICPSRSummerProgram/>
<https://twitter.com/ICPSRSummer>
<https://www.instagram.com/icpsrsummer/>
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgQWgr9Np3SKx54T_0hbo-Q>