[ICPSR] ICPSR Bulletin: 5 Things to Love About the Summer Program, and More!

Dory Knight-Ingram dkni at umich.edu
Thu Jul 2 13:25:44 EDT 2020

>From our home offices, kitchen tables, and back porches, to yours.
Summer 2020   |   Vol. 40, No. 2
<https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=43bc9c484b&e=e234a716ba>
>From our home offices, kitchen tables, and back porches, the staff at the
ICPSR Summer Program welcomes all our participants to the 2020 Summer
Program!
<https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=8f0b2e217c&e=e234a716ba>
*5 Things to Know and Love About the 2020 ICPSR Summer Program*

*[image: Scott Campbell]5. Your course, your time!* The ICPSR Summer Program
<https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=02dacfe614&e=e234a716ba>
in Quantitative Methods of Social Research has moved online this year, and
participants can now take our courses from anywhere in the world. Each
lecture is recorded and posted for registered participants to view, so
there is no need to stay up until 2 a.m. watching a lecture.

*4. Concurrent courses for the first time ever! *Another benefit to online
and recorded courses: Our schedule is more flexible than ever before. For
the last 57 years of the program, participants had to choose between two
courses that overlapped in time. Now, participants can take one course
live, and catch up with another later.

*3. New social events! *Picnics, coffee and donuts, all of our usual social
events are on hold. But participants in our four-week sessions can join in
now on live trivia (with exclusive swag!) and daily Zoom chats about
everything from surviving grad school during COVID-19 to creating furniture
out of wine bottles. More events to come!

*2. Connect through our Slack Community!* As much as we are pushing towards
new things with a fully online program, we still want to maintain part of
what makes the Summer Program so great. The collaborations and friendships
that grow out of the program are special to us, and we've set up a Summer
Program Slack Community to help keep our participants in touch.

*1. Still the best place for methods training!* Aside from our social
events, places to connect, and the changes to the structure of the Summer
Program, at our core we are still offering world-class training in data
analysis and quantitative methods from experts in the field.

*By Scott Campbell
<scocam at umich.edu%20?subject=5%20Things%20to%20Know%20and%20Love%20About%20the%202020%20ICPSR%20Summer%20Program>,
Summer
Program Communications Coordinator*
*Editor's Picks*
[image: Editor's Picks]

   - We Hear You. We See You. We Support You.
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=a8b8ca743a&e=e234a716ba>
   - ICPSR and RCMD Celebrate Pride Month with Data
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=e1bbea1cd8&e=e234a716ba>
   - ICPSR Highlights Data on Slavery, Black History, as Nation Observes
   Juneteenth 2020
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=208d5d9e51&e=e234a716ba>
   - ICPSR Director Issues Statement on Continued Support to Data Community
   Amid Global Coronavirus Battle
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=cdaf2e90bd&e=e234a716ba>
   - 2020 Data Resource Page: Coronavirus, Activism, Policing, Census,
   Elections, and More
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=dfa723820d&e=e234a716ba>

*New Projects*
[image: COVID-10 repository logo]

   - ICPSR Launches New Repository for COVID-19 Data
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=7ec0262e60&e=e234a716ba>
   - ICPSR Announces ResearchDataGov Portal to Streamline Researchers’
   Access to Federal Statistical System Microdata
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=d8514da004&e=e234a716ba>
   - NSF Selects AERA and ICPSR to Create New STEM Research Data Dub
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=c4ac32d4b3&e=e234a716ba>
   - ICPSR and Society for Research on Educational Effectiveness Launch
   Revamped Registry of Efficacy and Effectiveness Studies (REES)
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=2144f82e4e&e=e234a716ba>
   - African Studies Center and Institute for Social Research Partner on
   Summer Program Scholarship
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=011f128f81&e=e234a716ba>

*ICYMI*
[image: Save the Date]

   - Save the Date: 2020 ICPSR Data Fair Goes Live Sep 21-25
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=bace2026b8&e=e234a716ba>
   - Webinar Recording: Maximizing Your ICPSR Membership Value
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=d4b2bbdc68&e=e234a716ba>
   - Webinar Recording: Hidden Gems of ICPSR – A Peek Into the Data Vault
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=9b17c0c060&e=e234a716ba>
   - Best Practices for Measuring the Social, Behavioral, and Economic
   Impact of Epidemics
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=57cad41e12&e=e234a716ba>

*People*
[image: Screenshot shows staff virtually attending the June 2020 ICPSR
Council meeing]

   - Together again: A Moment from the (virtual) ICPSR Council Meeting for
   June 2020
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=be351efee6&e=e234a716ba>
   - Introducing the 2020 ICPSR Innovators of the Year
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=14a686c363&e=e234a716ba>
   - ICPSR Announces Winners of 2020 Research Paper Competitions
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=95b8e0638f&e=e234a716ba>
   - ICPSR Summer Program Welcomes Interim Director Michael Traugott
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=591b1c8b90&e=e234a716ba>

*More to Come!*

   - See the #ICPSRpeople
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=94ead982fa&e=e234a716ba>
   hashtag for more snapshots of ICPSR life, and subscribe to ICPSR email
   updates
   <https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=882684928c&e=e234a716ba>
   for the latest from ICPSR, and follow us on all platforms (links below, in
   the footer).

See the archive of ICPSR Bulletin Newsletters.
<https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=66a54d4678&e=e234a716ba>
*Special thanks to Scott Campbell, Anna Shelton, Shelly Petrinko, Sarah
Pearson, and Wendi Fornoff.*
[image: Facebook]
<https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=52ecb6695f&e=e234a716ba>
[image: Twitter]
<https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=95e7467342&e=e234a716ba>
[image: Website]
<https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=ef36288e9f&e=e234a716ba>
[image: Instagram]
<https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=07fae5bd74&e=e234a716ba>
[image: YouTube]
<https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=f2dbcc509e&e=e234a716ba>
Copyright © 2020 Regents of the University of Michigan

*Our mailing address is:*
ICPSR
University of Michigan
Institute for Social Research
P.O. Box 1248
Ann Arbor, MI 48106-1248

Send questions or comments to ICPSR-help at umich.edu.

Did someone forward you this email? Join the ICPSR Announce email list
<https://umich.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=22efdb2c40e55b8126be00251&id=55054d8576&e=e234a716ba>
.

<ICPSR-help at umich.edu>.*

--
*Dory Knight-Ingram*
*ICPSR Content Manager*

*Membership & Communications**ICPSR - University of Michigan
<http://bit.ly/2L66BGz>*
*dkni at umich.edu <dkni at umich.edu> **| (734) 615-7904*

*Connect with ICPSR on social media*

*Twitter <http://bit.ly/2Ox3cSf>, Facebook