[ICPSR] ICPSR DataBytes -- Summer 2020

Linda Detterman lindamd at umich.edu
Mon Aug 17 09:45:43 EDT 2020

View in browser
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/files/ICPSR/enewsletters/2020-08-summer.html>
[image: ICPSR DataBytes]

*In This Issue*

   - ICPSR's Summer Byte <#m_-2743206033972231329_a01>
   - Registration is Open! 2020 ICPSR Data Fair – Data in Real Life
   <#m_-2743206033972231329_a02>
   - Membership Update – State of the Consortium set for September 23
   <#m_-2743206033972231329_a03>
   - ICPSR Membership Invoices Due <#m_-2743206033972231329_a04>
   - ICPSR’s Physical Data Enclave is Now Open!
   <#m_-2743206033972231329_a05>
   - ICPSR COVID-19 Data Repository Growing with Deposits
   <#m_-2743206033972231329_a06>
   - ICPSR Remote Resources – an Overview with Energy!
   <#m_-2743206033972231329_a07>
   - Maximizing your ICPSR Membership – and a Teaser!
   <#m_-2743206033972231329_a08>
   - Linking to ICPSR is Encouraged! <#m_-2743206033972231329_a09>
   - Save The Date – 2021 Summer Program! <#m_-2743206033972231329_a10>
   - Save More Dates – The 2021 ICPSR Biennial Meeting – October 6-8
   <#m_-2743206033972231329_a11>
   - Save The Data! <#m_-2743206033972231329_a12>
   - Join us Thursday for “Navigating Longitudinal Collections with
   Colectica Portals” <#m_-2743206033972231329_a13>

*Get Connected!*
[image: Follow us on Facebook]
<//www.facebook.com/pages/ICPSR/43191688396> [image:
Follow us on Twitter] <http://twitter.com/icpsr> [image: sign up for
newsletter] <https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/about/lists/index.html>
[image:
follow us on YouTube] <http://www.youtube.com/user/ICPSRWeb> [image: Follow
us on Instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/theicpsr/>

*Membership Bits*

   - Current membership count: 791
   - # ICPSR Facebook Fans: 4,686
   - # Twitter Followers: 7,315
   - # YouTube Subscribers: 1,440
   - # Instagram Followers: 219

This newsletter was broadcast on behalf of:

ICPSR
University of Michigan
330 Packard
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

*Email Feedback* <netmail at icpsr.umich.edu>

*Manage your subscription*
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/about/lists/icpsr-announce.html>
[image: ICPSR DataBytes]

ICPSR's Summer Byte

As we send summer greetings from our virtual home-offices to yours, let’s
take a moment to share a warm wave of ICPSR updates via the 2020 summer
edition of DataBytes!
Registration is Open! 2020 ICPSR Data Fair – *Data in Real Life*

Data are everywhere, all the time! We hear about data with our morning
coffee, throughout the day, and just before retiring for the evening.
ICPSR’s Data Fair (September 21-25) focuses on real-life topics you are
confronting every day including politics, health, race, immigration, and
teaching/learning with data and statistics. It’s getting real!

Register now
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeiuBLYDfW9xYsq3X2Kjt8RZufakwtz-bLCfPMZvJL8oFMn0A/viewform?usp=sf_link>
!
Membership Update – State of the Consortium set for September 23

ICPSR reached a new high of 791 member institutions in June 2020. It’s been
a productive year for ICPSR, even amidst the turbulance caused by COVID-19,
and another active year is on deck. Join ICPSR Director Maggie Levenstein
for a conversation covering the state of ICPSR by registering
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeiuBLYDfW9xYsq3X2Kjt8RZufakwtz-bLCfPMZvJL8oFMn0A/viewform>
for the 2020 Data Fair. We’ll talk about our membership, our challenges,
our evolving technological infrastructure, new data projects, and more!
ICPSR Membership Invoices Due

Invoices for the membership period beginning July 1, 2020, were mailed in
April and are due on August 30. Thanks to all members who have already
paid. Missing your invoice?  Please contact us <help at icpsr.umich.edu> and
help reduce the significant consortium resources typically dedicated to
collecting unpaid membership fees!
ICPSR’s Physical Data Enclave is Now Open!

ICPSR is excited to assist researchers in work that was paused when the
university closed. Our enclave <http://myumi.ch/QA8re> serves not only
ICPSR physical enclave data, but also houses access points to the Research
Data Centre (FDZ) of the German Federal Employment Agency (BA) at the
Institute for Employment Research (IAB), and the French Secure Data Access
Center. With new COVID-19 guidelines in place
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/about/cms/2507>, the data enclave is ready!
ICPSR COVID-19 Data Repository Growing with Deposits

ICPSR’s new archive for data examining the social, behavioral, public
health, and economic impact of the novel coronavirus global pandemic has
received several data deposits. The COVID-19 Data Repository
<https://www.openicpsr.org/openicpsr/covid19?utm_source=SM&utm_medium=SM&utm_campaign=Covid-repository-launch>
is a free, self-publishing option for any researcher or journalist who
wants to share data related to COVID-19. The data will be available to any
interested user for secondary analysis. We encourage deposits of data to
help researchers and journalists understand and respond to the pandemic.
ICPSR Remote Resources – an Overview with Energy!

Check out ICPSR’s newest ICPSR 101 video that covers our vast remote
resources <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOPDdTSZaRU> in under three
minutes! The ICPSR 101 playlist
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqC9lrhW1VvZo0M_DE5PrKm2jgmXn_7OY>
contains over a dozen engaging short videos explaining various ICPSR data
services. We encourage you to review and enjoy them, and insert them in
your presentations!
Maximizing your ICPSR Membership – and a Teaser!

ICPSR appreciates every member institution, and we thank you for your
membership and continued contributions through this unprecedented period.
Earlier this summer, ICPSR staff conducted a three-part webinar series with
the goal to help member institutions
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/membership/administration/institutions>
maximize their membership benefits. Please feel free to watch frequently
and share widely! *And now the teaser: Stay tuned for a member benefit that
combines sand, students, teaching, and a box!*

   - Maximizing your ICPSR Membership Value
   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kcA_SS5LLo&t=3s>
   - Hidden Gems of ICPSR – A Peek Into the Data Vault
   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Ara162qVQ>
   - Moving beyond the title: Evaluating the data you find
   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORLJ_5osPpA&t=35s>

Linking to ICPSR Encouraged!

We are often asked if it is okay to link to ICPSR directly from your
websites and LibGuides. Our response is an enthusiastic, “Yes!”  We
encourage it. We suggest that when using in-text linking, that you use ICPSR
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/index.html> in the text (as shown)
and/or feel free to use our logo provided here or one of our other ICPSR
logo options <https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/membership/widgets/>!
Save The Date – 2021 Summer Program!

While the Summer Program of 2020 is wrapping up this week (over 1,050
virtual participants attended!), plans for the 2021 Summer Program
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/sumprog/> have begun! The four-week
sessions are *tentatively set* with the first session running June 21-July
16, and the second session running July 19-August 13. Official registration
for 2021 courses is scheduled to open in February 2021. In the meantime,
visit the 2020 ICPSR Summer Program Blalock Lecture Series
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHvtizEj4DP9fwtKWGGqIz14z32u8vcSX>!
Save More Dates – The 2021 ICPSR Biennial Meeting – October 6-8

Coming soon! The 2021 ICPSR Biennial Meeting will take place October 6-8,
beginning with a day of workshops and networking, and proceeding to
numerous panels and sessions. New to the meeting? Take a peek at the 2019
ICPSR Meeting
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqC9lrhW1VvYPbfzPGl9w0ZdAdvyNkGVx>
playlist, and stay tuned for more information to come soon.
Save The Data!

ICPSR seeks data for curation and reuse now and for the future.
Recommendations from the data community are critical in locating data and
encouraging researchers to share and preserve their data. Know of data on
your campus, on a floppy drive, or in a drawer? Please contact us to suggest
data to archive <https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/deposit/suggest.html>
!
Join us Thursday for "Navigating Longitudinal Collections with Colectica
Portals"

Do you love exploring longitudinal data collections? For more than 30
years, NACDA <https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/NACDA/index.html>, the
aging archive within ICPSR, has been sharing data on aging populations
*– * most
of which is longitudinal data. In this webinar on August 20 at 1:00 PM ET,
we will highlight our most widely used longitudinal collections, and
demonstrate the online portal tool from Colectica. Register today
<https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/4635809711375975439>!

Sent via Mail Merge for Gmail
<https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/app/mail_merge_with_attachments/223404411203>