[ICPSR] IASSIST 2020 CALL FOR PROPOSALS

Linda Detterman lindamd at umich.edu
Wed Oct 2 12:28:11 EDT 2019

*IASSIST 2020 CALL FOR PROPOSALS*

Conference website: https://iassist2020.org/

Conference hashtag: #IASSIST20

The 46th annual conference of the International Association for Social
Science Information Services and Technology (IASSIST
<http://iassistdata.org/>) will be held in Gothenburg, Sweden from May 19
to 22, 2020.

We welcome submissions that showcase the various ways our IASSIST community
is approaching “data by design” and tackling the challenges of building and
sustaining data communities, practices and tools. In the tradition of
Scandinavian design, characterized by simplicity, minimalism and
functionality, we welcome modern or ambitious approaches that your
organization has been looking at more recently to keep pace with the
ever-increasing amount of data, and new ways of publishing and accessing
it. While a variety of submission topics are desired, we encourage you to
think about if and how your topic may fit into one of the following tracks:

*Partnerships and collaborations – *What is the data culture like at your
organization? What infrastructure – hardware, software, people or policies
– are you leveraging, and is it enough? Who do you partner and collaborate
with, both within and outside your own organization, and can we learn from
these networking environments?

*Data management and archiving –* How can we build a community of data
sharing that is equitable for all? How can we learn from each other’s
approaches to demonstrating trust to lay a strong foundation? Have you
designed any new and useful approaches and tools that can help in this
space?

*Data access, governance and ethics –* As data practitioners we adhere to
key principles of protecting human rights and high ethical standards. What
principles, practices and tools have you worked on around data access,
especially where there may be added risk in data publishing and use.

*Data documentation and reproducibility –* For a data community to persist,
members need to share a common data language. What new approaches are you
using to design documentation to facilitate our shared understanding? What
strategies or tools have you designed that will help us respond best to the
current reproducibility ‘crisis’?

*Data literacy –* A robust community includes not only experienced
practitioners, but also newcomers. What innovative or successful approaches
are you using around the topic of data literacy and how can we, as a
community, better equip new practitioners with this important skill?

This year we also welcome suggestions for Special Interest Group and Birds
of a Feather sessions, and require a short proposal and a meeting
agenda/discussion points to support these. Also, panel proposals should be
made up of speakers from multiple organizations to encourage diversity of
debate.

Finally, we expect to have many submissions, so we would kindly ask you to
restrict submissions to one per person only.

*Submitting Proposals - DEADLINE: 6 December 2019*

We welcome submissions for papers, presentations, panels, posters, and
lightning talks.

The Call for Presentations, along with the link to the submission form, is
on the conference website:
https://iassist2020.org/conference/call-for-presentations-workshops/call-for-proposals-presentations/

Questions about presentation submissions may be sent to the Program
Co-Chairs (Stephanie Tulley, Stephanie Labou, and Louise Corti) at
programme at lists.iassistdata.org.

We are also accepting submissions for Pre-conference Workshops. The Call
for Workshops, along with the link to the submission form, is at:
https://iassist2020.org/conference/call-for-presentations-workshops/call-for-proposals-workshops/

Questions about workshop submissions may be sent to the Workshop
Coordinators, Eimmy Solis and Amber Sherman, at
workshops at lists.iassistdata.org.

*Deadline for ALL submissions: 6 December 2019*

*Notification of acceptance: Mid-January 2020*

*Support for Attending Conference*

IASSIST Fellows Program supports data professionals from underrepresented
regions and countries with emerging economies. IASSIST Early Professional
Fellows Program helps early career data professionals recognizing the value
of innovative ideas. Applications can be made at
https://forms.gle/WcXocgWKZnz5CyL6A <https://forms.gle/WcXocgWKZnz5CyL6A> and
will close January 17, 2020.

Address questions about the Fellows Programs to Florio Arguillas (
foa2 at cornell.edu).

We look forward to seeing you in Gothenburg in 2020!

Contact programme at lists.iassistdata.org for questions.