[ICPSR] ICPSR Recognized as a 2019 Recipient of Nation’s Highest Museum and Library Honor

Annalee Shelton annalees at umich.edu
Thu May 9 13:22:43 EDT 2019

View Online
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/files/ICPSR/htmlemails/nationalmedal_2019.html>
[image: merry Christmas]
In case you missed it, we have a wonderful announcement
<http://bit.ly/2VPqNE6> to share with the ICPSR community. ICPSR has been
named one of 10 recipients of the 2019 National Medal for Museum and
Library Service by the Institute of Museum and Library Services! This is
the nation’s highest honor given to museums and libraries that make
significant and exceptional contributions to their communities.

Sign the Congratulations Card <http://bit.ly/2V5ANtv>

It is a pleasure to recognize the 10 distinctive recipients of the National
Medal of Museum and Library Service," said IMLS Director Dr. Kathryn K.
Matthew. "Through their programs, services, and partnerships, these
institutions exemplify the many ways that libraries and museums are
positively transforming communities across the nation."

"We are pleased and honored to receive this award. In an increasingly
data-driven world, ICPSR seeks to make data more accessible, more useful,
and more understandable," said ICPSR Director Margaret Levenstein.

As part of the ceremony and celebration, ICPSR community member John
Leverso, who was a 2013 ICPSR intern, will travel to Washington, D.C., with
Levenstein to accept the National Medal on behalf of ICPSR. Leverso, a
doctoral candidate at the University of Washington Department of Sociology,
will provide a personal account of the power ICPSR has had in the community
and in his life. "ICPSR really gave me the opportunity to succeed, in many
cases, when others did not," Leverso said. "They were really instrumental
in my life's journey and really springboarded my academic journey and
helped me to get to where I am now."

Following the ceremony, StoryCorps
<https://storycorps.org/participate/host/institute-for-museum-and-library-services/>
— a national nonprofit dedicated to recording, preserving, and sharing the
stories of Americans — will visit ICPSR and provide an opportunity for
ICPSR community members to share stories of how ICPSR has affected their
lives. These stories are preserved at the American Folklife Center at the
Library of Congress.

The award will be presented at an event in Washington, D.C., on June 12.
For a complete list of 2019 recipients and to learn more about the National
Medal winners, see the IMLS website announcement
<http://bit.ly/2019IMLSWinners>.

ICPSR Director Margaret Levenstein and University of Michigan Institute for
Social Research Director David Lam raise a glass to the ICPSR community at
ICPSR's celebration on May 7, 2019, in Ann Arbor.

Celebrate with us!

We’re proud to share this achievement with the ICPSR community! Help us
celebrate by signing <http://bit.ly/2V5ANtv> the congratulations card on
our website. To help us sustain the important work we do at ICPSR, please
consider making a gift to the ICPSR Strategic Initiatives Fund
<http://bit.ly/2JtVkRw>.

About the Institute of Museum and Library Services

The Institute of Museum and Library Services is the primary source of
federal support for the nation's libraries and museums. IMLS advances,
supports, and empowers America’s museums, libraries, and related
organizations through grantmaking, research, and policy development. IMLS’s
vision is a nation where museums and libraries work together to transform
the lives of individuals and communities. To learn more, visit www.imls.gov
and follow IMLS on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/USIMLS> and Twitter
<https://twitter.com/us_imls>.

[image: Check us out on Facebook]