[ICPSR] Check out the latest ICPSR Bulletin newsletter!

Dory Knight-Ingram dkni at umich.edu
Wed Dec 4 12:05:02 EST 2019

View this email in your browser <http://bit.ly/2RqFavU>
Fall 2019 | Vol. 39, No. 3

Video rewind: The 2019 ICPSR Biennial Meeting
<https://youtu.be/d2g7NUTWU8o>
A biennial gathering to remember

In October, over 170 attendees from 86 institutions networked and explored
a wealth of data resources at the action-packed 2019 ICPSR Biennial Meeting
<https://youtu.be/te6H3-DFZZ0>. This year’s theme was “Data Storytelling."
Besides attending the many engaging workshops, we tuned in to a great keynote
message <https://youtu.be/NJwG13SE2Gg> from Harvard Economist *Raj Chetty*,
who talked about “Improving Equality of Opportunity in America: New
Insights from Big Data.” Also, catch a glimpse
<https://youtu.be/N93HJeky3Q8> of some of our community's stars who stopped
by the red carpet for some fun exchanges with ICPSR’s *Bianca Monzon*,
*Kil-Sang
Kim,* and *Abay Israel*. Another meeting highlight came as we celebrated
the work of 2019 Miller Award winners *Judith Torney-Purta*, Professor
Emerita of Developmental Science and Educational Psychology at the
University of Maryland, and *Raj Chetty*, a Professor of Economics at
Harvard University; and 2019 Flanigan Award winner (and ICPSR rep and
former Council member) *Ron Nakao*, a Social Science Data Librarian and
Economics Librarian at Stanford. Meeting recordings and presentation slides
are being uploaded as available on our 2019 ICPSR Biennial Meeting playlist
<http://bit.ly/31XSSc0>.

In other news, we were thrilled to announce a new distinction for ICPSR:
CoreTrustSeal <http://bit.ly/2XAPAKA> Certification! Acquiring
CoreTrustSeal certification makes transparent to our stakeholders,
including funding agencies now encouraging certification, the
trustworthiness of our repository.

We also announced some new data projects, including the Child and Family
Data Archive <http://bit.ly/2CR4XFn>, the College and Beyond II
<http://bit.ly/2O6T8RM> project, and the important work of ICPSR
researchers *Libby Hemphill*, *Amy Pienta*, *Dharma Akmon*, and others to
secure a $1 million in grant for groundbreaking research on data curation
<http://bit.ly/2O6h07Y>. Those are just some of the amazing headlines in
this edition of the ICPSR Bulletin Newsletter. Scroll down for so much more
good news about data stewardship.

Thanks for reading!

Dory Knight-Ingram
Editor
[image: A New Distinction for ICPSR: International CoreTrustSeal board
approves certification of ICPSR as a core certified repository!]
<http://bit.ly/2XAPAKA> Editor's picks

   - A new distinction for ICPSR: CoreTrustSeal Certification!
   <http://bit.ly/2XAPAKA>
   - Looking back at the 2019 ICPSR Summer Program <http://bit.ly/35vJOwr>

<http://bit.ly/2KENQMV> New projects

   - Announcing the new Child and Family Data Archive!
   <http://bit.ly/2CR4XFn>
   - A new resource for undergraduate education: Data on the content and
   consequences of a liberal arts education <http://bit.ly/2O6T8RM>
   - $1 million in grant funding for groundbreaking research on data
   curation <http://bit.ly/2O6h07Y>
   - $2M NSF grant to explore data equity systems <http://bit.ly/2XFdkNF>

Video: ICPSR Director Margaret Levenstein talks about a University of
Michigan project to build a framework for equitable use of data.
<https://youtu.be/U_vwcGsSFaw>
Featured data

   - Data collection enables deeper understanding of transgender people in
   US <http://bit.ly/2QF21DN>
   - What are Americans stressed about? Find the answer in a new ICPSR data
   collection <http://bit.ly/2qyXFU5>

ICYMI

   - Data-PASS Alliance supports NSF “Dear Colleague Letter: Effective
   Practices for Data" <http://bit.ly/2OzAKjy>
   - Peruse ICPSR's fall edition of DataBytes <http://bit.ly/33bYVd0>

>From left to right, Flanigan Award winner Ron Nakao, and Miller Award
winners Judith Torney-Purta and Raj Chetty
<https://youtu.be/d2g7NUTWU8o>
People

   - ICPSR announces recipients of the 2019 Warren E. Miller and William H.
   Flanigan awards <http://bit.ly/2qDdRn8>
   - ICPSR's Paul Courant receives one of the University of Michigan's top
   honors <http://bit.ly/2Oapn2z>
   - Alon Axelrod retires after 30+ years <http://bit.ly/349Dgn9>
   - Piper Simmons retires after 30+ years <http://bit.ly/2D4cxML>
   - My Summer with ICPSR's Membership and Communications team
   <http://bit.ly/2QHjXxw>

Reminders

Don't miss out on "CivicLEADS: The resource you didn’t know your research
needed," a webinar on Dec. 4, 2019, from 1:00 - 2:00 PM EST. If you're
reading this after the webinar, please visit ICPSR's YouTube channel for
the recording.
<http://bit.ly/2OybPwz>

Join us on Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019, from 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM EST for
"Resources for Gerontological and Social Science Researchers," hosted by
NACDA.
<http://bit.ly/35oWtBA>

Webinar alert: Joins us for "An Overview of the 2020 ICPSR Summer Program,"
Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020, 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM EST.
<http://bit.ly/2OC7gBl>

Are you participating in (or helping promote) the ICPSR Paper Competition?
We accept entries of papers for analyses on any topic using data from
ICPSR. The purpose of the competitions is to highlight exemplary research
papers based on quantitative analysis that uses ICPSR data. We invite
submissions from students and recent graduates at ICPSR member
institutions.
<http://bit.ly/2qDzuE3>

Want a printable, text-only version of this newsletter? We've got it
covered. <http://bit.ly/2Ldg8MU>
See the archive of ICPSR Bulletin Newsletters. <http://bit.ly/2LalSHt>

*Special thanks to Aditi Sheth, Anna Shelton, Shelly Petrinko, Wendi
Fornoff,*
*Sarah Pearson, Michael Iannaconne, and Jenna Tyson.*

[image: Twitter] <http://twitter.com/icpsr> [image: Facebook]
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/ICPSR/43191688396> [image: Twitter]
<http://www.youtube.com/user/ICPSRWeb> [image: Follow us on Instagram]
<https://www.instagram.com/theicpsr/>