[ICPSR] Fwd: ICPSR DataBytes -- Summer 2018

Linda Detterman lindamd at umich.edu
Fri Sep 14 13:03:19 EDT 2018

Having trouble viewing this message? Links disabled? Click or copy:
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/files/ICPSR/enewsletters/2018-09-summer.html
[image: ICPSR DataBytes]

*In This Issue*

   - ICPSR's Summer Byte <#m_-440893751594712541_a01>
   - Registration is Open! 2018 ICPSR Data Fair - Data: Powered by You
   <#m_-440893751594712541_a02>
   - What is an ICPSR Data Fair? Take a 1:19 Minute Peek!
   <#m_-440893751594712541_a03>
   - Membership Update - State of the Consortium coming in October
   <#m_-440893751594712541_a04>
   - ICPSR Membership Invoices Due! <#m_-440893751594712541_a05>
   - A Summer of ICPSR Strategy! <#m_-440893751594712541_a06>
   - Google Unveils New Dataset Search Feature, with a Nod to ICPSR
   <#m_-440893751594712541_a07>
   - Speaking of Search - New Approach to ICPSR Website Search
   <#m_-440893751594712541_a08>
   - Good News Galore in the Latest ICPSR Bulletin!
   <#m_-440893751594712541_a09>
   - Linking to ICPSR Encouraged! <#m_-440893751594712541_a10>
   - Save The Date - 2019 Summer Program! <#m_-440893751594712541_a11>
   - Save More Dates - The 2019 ICPSR Biennial Meeting - October 16-18
   <#m_-440893751594712541_a12>
   - Save The Data! <#m_-440893751594712541_a13>

*Get Connected!*
[image: Facebook] <//www.facebook.com/pages/ICPSR/43191688396> [image:
Twitter] <http://twitter.com/icpsr> [image: envelope]
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/membership/lists/index.jsp> [image:
Twitter] <http://www.youtube.com/user/ICPSRWeb> [image: Twitter]
<https://plus.google.com/u/1/117649429568467587642/posts>

*Membership Bits*

Current membership count: 782

# ICPSR Facebook Fans: 4,585

# Twitter Followers: 5,470

# YouTube Subscribers: 888

# Instagram Followers: 68

This newsletter was broadcast on behalf of:

ICPSR
University of Michigan
330 Packard
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

*Email Feedback* <netmail at icpsr.umich.edu>

*Manage your subscription*
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/membership/lists/icpsr-announce.html>
[image: ICPSR DataBytes] ICPSR's Summer Byte

Before we bid the Summer of 2018 a fond farewell, let's take a moment to
share some sizzling ICPSR updates in the summer edition of *DataBytes!*
Registration is Open! 2018 ICPSR Data Fair - *Data: Powered by You*

ICPSR's 2018 Data Fair focuses on the most important variable: you. Data is
in the news at a dizzying rate, reminding us that our choices in collecting
and sharing data are of great consequence. Join us for the Data Fair, a
series of webinars taking place October 1-5, to learn from thought leaders
who will delve into important topics all about data! Register now
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/membership/datafair/#registration>
!
What is an ICPSR Data Fair? Take a 1:19 Minute Peek!

We're planning more than 20 virtual sessions conducted by ICPSR Staff and
other data experts. Learn about current trends and best practices in data
transparency, data activism, what to do with data, and more! Take a peek
into the ICPSR Data Fair
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=TaAk7FrJeu0> now!
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=TaAk7FrJeu0> Membership
Update - State of the Consortium coming in October

ICPSR reached a new high of 782 member institutions this month! It's been a
productive year for ICPSR and another one is on deck. Join ICPSR Director
Maggie Levenstein and several staff for a conversation covering the state
of ICPSR <https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/1542288651745220866>.
We'll talk about our membership, our evolving technological infrastructure,
new data projects, and more! We'll share some video, audio and a little
karaoke?
ICPSR Membership Invoices Due!

Invoices for the membership period beginning July 1, 2018, were mailed in
April and were due on August 30. Thanks to all members who have already
paid. Missing your invoice? Please contact us <help at icpsr.umich.edu> and
help reduce the significant consortium resources typically dedicated to
collecting unpaid membership fees!
A Summer of ICPSR Strategy!

The ICPSR Council
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/about/governance/council.html>
has given its endorsement to ICPSR's new Strategic Plan
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/about/strategic-plan.html>,
which details an organizational paradigm shift to support research data
through 2021 and beyond. "This Strategic Plan highlights all of the great
things about ICPSR: its data stability, security, innovation, and access,"
said Council Chair Michael Jones-Correa, President's Distinguished
Professor of Political Science at the University of Pennsylvania. What is
ICPSR's Strategic Plan
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=A8o0OSNLpSM>?
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=A8o0OSNLpSM> Google
Unveils New Dataset Search Feature, with a Nod to ICPSR

Google has unveiled a new Dataset Search
<https://toolbox.google.com/datasetsearch> feature, with a nod to ICPSR in
its launch announcement. ICPSR was able to preview the feature during its
alpha release and provided feedback. According to the Google Dataset Search
Team, "this launch is just the first step, and we hope the ecosystem will
grow from here!"
Speaking of Search - New Approach to ICPSR Website Search

Looking for membership information? Curation tips? Data management plan
resources? Just enter your search terms into ICPSR's search box, hit
"Search," and select the ICPSR Website tab
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/search/webpages?start=0&ARCHIVE=ICPSR&PUBLISH_STATUS=PUBLISHED&sort=score%20desc%2CTITLE_SORT%20asc&rows=50&q=>.
Fewer clicks to get the information you need!
Good News Galore in the Latest ICPSR Bulletin!

This ICPSR Bulletin <https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/news/1082>
is packed full of good stuff including ICPSR's new strategic plan, an
introduction to ICPSR's new Membership Experience Manager, an overview of
the 2018 Summer Program, and more!
Linking to ICPSR Encouraged!

We are often asked if it is okay to link to ICPSR directly from your
websites and LibGuides. Our response is an enthusiastic, "Yes!" We
encourage it. We suggest that when using in-text linking, that you use ICPSR
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/landing.jsp> in the text (as shown)
and/or feel free to use our logo provided here or one of our other ICPSR
logo options
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/membership/widgets/>!
Save The Date - 2019 Summer Program!

While the summer of 2018 is ending, plans for the 2019 Summer Program
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/sumprog/> have begun! The four-week
sessions are already set with the first session running June 24 - July 19,
and the second session running July 22 - August 16. Official registration
for 2019 courses will open in early February 2019.
Save More Dates - The 2019 ICPSR Biennial Meeting - October 16-18

Coming soon! The ICPSR Biennial Meeting will take place October 16-18,
beginning with a day of workshops and networking, and proceeding to
numerous panels and sessions. New to the meeting? Take a peek at the 2017
ICPSR Meeting
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/membership/or/ormeet/workshops.html>,
and stay tuned for more information to come soon.
Save The Data!

ICPSR seeks data for curation and reuse now and for the future.
Recommendations from the data community are critical in locating data and
encouraging researchers to share and preserve their data. Know of data on
your campus, on a floppy drive, or in a drawer? Please contact us to suggest
data to archive <http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/deposit/suggest.jsp>!