[ICPSR] ICPSR's Eclipsed Summer Byte

wfornoff at umich.edu wfornoff at umich.edu
Mon Aug 21 10:49:11 EDT 2017

Having trouble viewing this message? Links disabled? Click or copy:
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/files/membership/publications/enewsletters/2017-08-21.html
[image: ICPSR DataBytes Summer]

*In This Issue*

   - ICPSR’s Eclipsed Summer Byte <#a01>
   - ICPSR Meeting – Have You Registered? <#a02>
   - A Galaxy of Workshops Offered <#a03>
   - 2017 Warren E. Miller Award and William H. Flanigan Award Winners
   Announced! <#a04>
   - Council News: 2018/2019 Membership Fees Set <#a05>
   - FY2018 Invoices Due Soon! <#a06>
   - OR Tools: Linking to ICPSR Encouraged! <#a07>
   - ICPSR Bulletin Flares with News! <#a08>
   - The ICPSR Deposit Manager – an Astronomical Improvement <#a09>
   - Seeking Data for the Next Generation <#a10>

*Membership Bits*

Current membership count: 764

# ICPSR Facebook Fans: 4,438

# Twitter Followers: 3,227

# YouTube Subscribers: 738

This newsletter was broadcast on behalf of:

ICPSR
University of Michigan
330 Packard
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

*Email Feedback* <netmail at icpsr.umich.edu>

*Manage your subscription*
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/membership/lists/icpsr-announce.html>

*Get Connected!*
ICPSR on Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/ICPSR/43191688396?sid=3628fd15667f7c9a349937621437c9ae&ref=s>
ICPSR on Twitter <http://twitter.com/icpsr>
Email Subscriptions
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/membership/lists/index.jsp>
ICPSR on YouTube <http://www.youtube.com/user/ICPSRWeb>
ICPSR on Google+ <https://plus.google.com/u/1/117649429568467587642/posts>
ICPSR’s Eclipsed Summer Byte

As the moon passes over the sun, we pause for a moment to look to the sky,
then return our focus to the halls of ICPSR. We’re ablaze with activity as
staff teach for the Summer Program, transform our data management systems,
and plan for the upcoming ICPSR Meeting! It's time to take a moment to
share archive updates in the 2017 summer "Total Eclipse" edition of
DataBytes.

ICPSR Meeting – Have You Registered?

The 2017 ICPSR Meeting
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/membership/or/ormeet/index.html>
starts in less than two months! With more than 17 workshops and sessions,
this biennial meeting will highlight ICPSR’s core functions including
current data collections and data-related tools and exciting new data
projects. The meeting will also impart practical approaches and strategies
to work with data producers to share data, write data management plans, and
locate tools and resources to assist in curating and managing research
data. Register here
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/membership/or/ormeet/register.html>
!
A Galaxy of Workshops Offered

The ICPSR Meeting features a full day of workshops on Wednesday, October
11. Take an introductory tour through various statistical software used in
data analysis, explore the research methods behind our metadata, learn
about best practices for curating and managing research data, delve into
resources to incorporate real data (and documentation!) into the
curriculum, and explore the delivery of ICPSR data and related resources
in-depth – all in one day! See workshop descriptions
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/membership/or/ormeet/workshops.html>
for detailed outlines of these sessions. Spaces are limited. Register now
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/membership/or/ormeet/register.html>
before the moon passes!
2017 Warren E. Miller Award and William H. Flanigan Award Winners Announced!

ICPSR is proud to announce that Julia Lane (New York University) and Robert
McCaa (University of Minnesota) have been named the 2017 Miller Award
winners. Bobray Bordelon (Princeton University) has been named the 2017
Flanigan Award winner. Awards will be presented to each of the honorees at
the 2017 ICPSR Meeting on Thursday, October 12. Read more about the awards
and former award winners
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/about/awards/index.html>.
Council News: 2018/2019 Membership Fees Set

At its June meeting, the ICPSR Council set membership fees
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/membership/join.html> one year
in advance as required by the ICPSR Constitution
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/about/governance/constitution.html>.
The Council also adopted the 2015 Carnegie Classification as a means to
associate membership fees; ICPSR has been working with the 2000
classifications since 2005. More information is forthcoming and will be
provided to Official and Designated Representatives. The new fees begin on
July 1, 2018.
FY2018 Invoices Due Soon

Invoices for the membership period beginning July 1, 2017, were mailed in
April and are due on August 30. Thanks to the over half of members who have
already paid! Missing your invoice? Please contact us <arun at umich.edu>.
OR Tools: Linking to ICPSR Encouraged!

We are often asked if it is okay to link to ICPSR directly from your
websites and LibGuides. Our response is an enthusiastic, “Yes!” We
encourage it. We suggest that when using in-text linking, that you use ICPSR
<https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/landing.jsp> in the text (as shown)
and/or feel free to use our logo provided here or one of our other ICPSR
logo options
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/membership/widgets/>!
ICPSR Bulletin Flares with News!

ICPSR 101, staff innovators, DataLumos, #LoveYourDataWeek, and data
preservation make up ICPSR’s most recent path of totality
<https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-glossary#for_row27>. All of these
activities, and more, are featured in the latest ICPSR Bulletin
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/files/membership/publications/bulletin/2017-Q1.pdf>
!
The ICPSR Deposit Manager – an Astronomical Improvement

The new ICPSR deposit system was launched this spring. The deposit manager
provides the depositor more control over how data and documentation files
are presented to the ICPSR curation team and more communication regarding
project status and updates. The deposit manager is really a customizable
deposit workspace that provides depositors with more flexibility in terms
of accepted files types and sizes, project deposit collaboration space, and
a history and deposit status that will initiate with your first deposit
into our new system. A demonstration of the ICPSR Deposit Manager
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAPzG4feqVs&t=40s> is available on ICPSR’s
YouTube channel.

Seeking Data for the Next Generation

ICPSR seeks data for curation and reuse now and for the future.
Recommendations from the data community are critical in locating data and
encouraging researchers to share and preserve their data. Know of data on
your campus, on a floppy drive, or in a drawer? Please contact us to suggest
data to archive <http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/deposit/suggest.jsp>!