[ICPSR] ICPSR’s "Bring Data to the Classroom" Webinar Series – Using Data for Instruction

Linda Detterman lindamd at umich.edu
Tue Sep 23 08:57:01 EDT 2014

*Bring Data to the Classroom Webinar Series – Using Data for Instruction*

Bringing data into the classroom early (undergraduate) and often in support
of quantitative literacy and just plain fun is the goal of these sessions.
ICPSR hosts a wide variety of Resources for Instructors
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/instructors/index.jsp> as well as
several data tools that can be used to get students interested in data and
data analysis without the intimidation factor. Part of the 2014 Data Fair,
webinars in this series (with registration links) include the following:

*Data, Data Everywhere and Not a Number to Teach!*

*Broadcast time (EDT):* *Thursday, October 9,  Noon (12:00pm)*

*Registration link:*
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8890560123762889730

Sifting through the many megabytes of data with which we are bombarded each
day takes practice. This webinar will focus on teaching students how to
evaluate the data with which they come in contact (think Joel Best’s
books…). We will also present a variety of sources for “numbers” that can
be used in teaching and examples of their use. Because working with
numerical evidence is as much or more a mindset as it is a set of
mathematical skills, the content should be especially helpful for faculty
who might otherwise consider themselves “non-quantitative.”

*Making Research Methods Fun (or at Least Tolerable)*

*Broadcast time (EDT):* *Thursday, October 9,  2:00pm*

*Registration link:*
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5723774221233321730

Can “social research” and “fun” really go together? We all know the value
of social research and why learning methods is important, but students are
typically not as easily convinced. Learn how to use ICPSR’s collection of
data and tools to make your research methods course more engaging. We will
demonstrate how a variety of concepts – including some of the less exciting
ones like operationalization and sampling – can be taught using real data
and/or the tools built to support those data.

*About The ICPSR Data Fair *

ICPSR is pleased to present its program for the 2014 ICPSR Data Fair, which
will take place Monday through Thursday, October 6-9, 2014.

·         The full program is found here:
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/membership/datafair/index.html

·         *Webinar broadcast times are listed in Eastern Daylight Time
(EDT)*.

·         Webinars are free and open to the public, and it is permissible
(even encouraged!) for organizations to broadcast these webcasts to groups
of attendees.

·         Attendees must register for each webinar they want to attend.

·         Recordings and slide decks (when available) will be placed on ICPSR’s
YouTube Channel <https://www.youtube.com/user/ICPSRWeb>. Look for the
playlist titled, “2014 Data Fair.”

--

Linda Detterman