[ICPSR] ICPSR Summer Program Director announcement

George Alter altergc at umich.edu
Tue Jul 1 11:36:05 EDT 2014

Dear Colleagues:

I am very pleased to send this announcement of the next Director of the
ICPSR Summer Program:  Saundra Schneider.

            George

ICPSR is pleased to announce that Saundra Schneider will join ICPSR as the
next Director of the Summer Program starting in August 2014. Schneider
succeeds Interim Director John Garcia, who has served in that position
since January 2014.

Schneider is a long-time Summer Program instructor and has been teaching
Regression Analysis I, one of the mainstay courses in the Program, since
1990. She is Professor of Political Science at Michigan State University.
Her main research areas are public policy and state politics, with
particular emphases on social welfare, governmental response to disasters,
spending priorities across program areas, and public opinion toward
federalism.

 “Sandy is a great fit for this position,” said ICPSR Director George
Alter. “As an experienced instructor, she understands why the Summer
Program experience has been so valuable to participants for more than fifty
years.  Sandy also brings strong administrative experience, which has
become increasingly important as the program has grown in size.”

Schneider received a Ph.D. in Political Science, with an emphasis in Public
Policy Analysis and Evaluation, from Binghamton University in 1980. Over
the years, she has held faculty positions at the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill (1979-1980), the University of Missouri-Columbia
(1980-1985), the Ohio State University (Visiting Professor, 1986 to 1988),
and the University of South Carolina (1989-2003). At Michigan State, she
established the Master of Public Policy (MPP) Program in 2007 and served as
its director for seven years.

Schneider has an impressive record of publications in high quality outlets
including *The Journal of Politics*, *British Journal of Political Science*,
and*Political Research Quarterly*, and has published two books on the
governmental response to disasters: *Flirting With Disaster* (1995)
and *Dealing
With Disaster* (2011). She has served on a number of editorial boards for
prominent journals and has held a variety of leadership positions across
the discipline of political science. She also has a strong record of
receiving research and education/training grants.

 “I am very proud of my long association with the ICPSR Summer Program,”
Schneider said. “There is absolutely no question about its success as a
vehicle for providing first-rate methodological training throughout the
social sciences. I want to help maintain the Program’s world-famous
reputation on into the future.”

George Alter
Director, ICPSR
Professor of History, University of Michigan
PO Box 1248, Ann Arbor, MI 48106-1248
Tel: 734-615-8700    Fax: 734-647-8200
Email: altergc at umich.edu