[ICPSR] FROM GEORGE ALTER: MESSAGE ON BEHALF OF THE ICPSR PRIZES COMMITTEE

Michelle Overholser mshukait at umich.edu
Thu Mar 21 13:59:49 EDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

As part of its mission to support the social sciences, ICPSR presents
biennial awards to individuals who have distinguished themselves in their
service to the social science community. We are seeking your nominations
for these two awards.

The Warren E. Miller Award for Meritorious Service to the Social Sciences
was initiated in 1993 to recognize individuals who have had a profound
impact on social science research and infrastructure. Warren E. Miller, a
founder of ICPSR and its first Executive Director, demonstrated throughout
his career exemplary service to the social science community and a talent
for building institutions that have survived beyond his direct involvement
and continue to prosper.

The William H. Flanigan Award for Distinguished Service as an ICPSR
Representative was established in 1995 and acknowledges significant
contributions of individuals representing ICPSR member institutions. The
award is named after William H. Flanigan, who served as ICPSR Official
Representative from the University of Minnesota for 37 years, from ICPSR's
inception in 1963 until 2000. He also served as Chair of the ICPSR Council
from 1991 to 1993.

Visit our website for more information on previous award
recipients<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/membership/awards/index.html>
.

The ICPSR Prizes Committee is constituted in odd numbered years to select
candidates for these awards.  We are fortunate to have these members of the
Committee for 2013: Professor Christopher Achen (Princeton University) and
Ms. Marilyn Andrews (University of Regina), ICPSR Council representatives;
Professor Tom W. Smith (University of Chicago) and Ms. Paula Lackie
 (Carleton College), previous Miller Award Recipient and Flanigan Award
Recipient respectively; and Sue Hodge, ICPSR staff representative.

Please send your nominations to this special email address:
mf-awards at icpsr.umich.edu

We greatly appreciate a brief summary of the individual's qualifications
and explanation of why the nominee is a worthy recipient. The Prizes
committee will consider the nominations, make a final determination of the
award winners, and inform ICPSR Council of their decision. The awards will
be given during the ICPSR Biennial Meeting of Official Representatives held
October 9-11, 2013 in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Nominations are due no later than April 15.

We welcome your recommendations of outstanding individuals for these two
awards.

Sincerely,

George Alter
Director, ICPSR