[ICPSR] ICPSR Webinars: New to ICPSR? Exploring Membership? Need a Refresher on ICPSR Services? Join us virtually on October 1, 2012!

Linda Detterman lindamd at umich.edu
Wed Sep 19 08:20:37 EDT 2012

On Monday, October 1, 2012, ICPSR is presenting four webcast sessions
designed to provide an orientation to our data services from understanding
what our research data archive holds to how to use our data tools.  We’ll
explore the recently refreshed website, bring data into the classroom, and
provide an overview our data management/curation (deposit) services.  And
for those of you who need to promote ICPSR and train on data use across
your campus, we’ve assembled a virtual panel that will provide lots of tips
and welcome your questions.

Register today for:
11-11:50 a.m.: General Orientation to ICPSR

*Webcast link: **https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/808820306*<https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/808820306>

What data does ICPSR have, and how can they be accessed? How can ICPSR help
me/my institution with data management? *ICPSR Membership and Marketing
Director Linda Detterman* will provide an overview of ICPSR's services,
including hands-on demonstrations of how to download datasets.
12-12:50 p.m.: Navigating the New ICPSR Web site

*Webcast link: **https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/380737294*<https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/380737294>

ICPSR recently redesigned its Web site, allowing for more efficient
searching and easier navigation. *Web project manager Matthew
Richardson*will guide users through the new features in two chapters.

*Chapter One - The New ICPSR Web Site* - A brief presentation highlighting
the changes on the new Web site and the reasons behind those changes.
Attendees are welcome to email questions in advance if they would like
particular topics discussed during the session. Email questions to:
dmeisler at umich.edu.

*Chapter Two - Why You're Bad at Search: Because Search Has Changed and You
Haven't* - SOLR supports natural language searching, but changing one's
search methods is about as comfortable as changing one's religion. This
will be a discussion of different searching strategies and how they work on
the ICPSR site, as well as a talk on the transition from Boolean searching
to natural language searching.
1-1:50 p.m.: ICPSR in the Classroom

*Webcast link: **https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/912964938*<https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/912964938>

ICPSR offers a variety of materials for use in social science classes in
support of quantitative literacy efforts. *Director of Instructional
Development Lynnette Hoelter* will outline the available resources and how
to use them as ICPSR strives to support faculty in bringing data into the
classroom early and often!
2-2:50 p.m.: Promoting ICPSR on Your Campus

*Webcast link: **https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/481710646*<https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/481710646>

ICPSR data can open doors to research in a wide range of social science
disciplines, including sociology, economics, political science, public
health, and many others. In this session, *Libbie Stephenson, ICPSR's
Official Representative from the University of California at Los Angeles* leads
a panel discussion of ORs on effective ways of promoting awareness of ICPSR
resources at your institution and will assist you in catering to your
unique institutional needs. Your questions and ideas during this panel
session are encouraged!

*These webcasts are part of ICPSR’s 2012 Data Fair featuring election
data.  For still more sessions to be held October 1 – 3, 2012, visit the
schedule at*:
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/membership/datafair/schedule.html

--

Linda Detterman